You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

e brake on tag and drive wheels question

hi all,

my coach is a 2002 and has the tag and drive wheel brakes activated when the emergency air brake is applied.  bill johnson and i were talking and figure they did that from late 90's till 2004 sometime.  

what it causes on mine is a lot of rear axle groaning, popping and when i leveling the coach i have to take the e brake on and off several times.  when i release the e brake the coach will lurch and change level.  in talking to newell, it is a known problem.

it is most annoying.  so my question is this.....is there any reason i couldnt disconnect the air e brake from the tag wheels and just have it on the drives like i believe alot of the coaches have done?

any thoughts?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Don't know why, but mine rarely does this.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

I don't think that will work. The ebrake is a mechanical spring. The air releases the spring. Remove the hose as you suggest and I predict poor fuel mileage ?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(09-02-2017, 03:13 PM)Richard Wrote:  Remove the hose as you suggest and I predict poor fuel mileage ?

lol. Classic!

Paul
Coach #540
2000 Double Slide, Bath and a half, Average sized fan for its age
Fulltiming for a while around CO

Ok disconnect was the key word. Ha

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom,

Now that I have messed with you a little, if you want to
Disable the tag ebrakes then just use the wrench and cage the springs

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Tom
To remove ebrake on tag
Best would be changing the brake chamber NOT caging the chamber
It's a easy change, but you must plug two air lines

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

The first step would be to figure out if this will work. On my coach ('03) , the effect is really obnoxious.

I guess we have to disconnect tag brake then try to level.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

You might try this method of leveling rather than altering your brakes.  I found this by trial and error but it works.  There is one facet that is unusual as i will explain later.  I believe this works on most HWH computerized leveling systems.

With ignition on , brake set, activate auto by pressing twice.  Now the unusual part, block a wheel with a good chock, not something that can be rolled over easily and test prior to leveling.  Turn the key to accessory and release the brake all the while in auto level and leveling will occur without brakes being locked.  When leveling is complete, set ebrake.

I've posted this procedure in the past and everyone has reported it working however there may be certain applications where it doesn't work.  Try it out.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Gordon, That is essentially what we are doing...except the wheel chock. By leveling without the e-brake you avoid the problem altogether....but you add the hassle of bringing, placing, and remembering to pick up the chocks.

This situation happened last night. I pulled into Newell and did NOT level. (The lots here are very close to level already) I just left the coach at travel height, put out the slides and went to bed. During the night, something in my suspension let out some of the air in the passenger side. The coach made a groaning sound and lurched as the the e-brakes slipped into the new level height. I got up and while holding brake with foot, released and re-applyed the e-brake. The coach settled into a new attitude and did not make the noise again.

In this case, the process that Gordon proposes would not work because you end up reapplying the e-brake. If the coach settles because of you left the HWH system in auto level, or the coach loses air you will still be fighting the e-brake. (Unless you avoid the e-brake and chock each of the tires).

This is a design flaw of this vintage coach, and I wish Newell would step up with well-engineered solution.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama