You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Dash temp control

On a recent trip we tried to use the dash heat and found that the sliding temperature control is stuck in the cold position. I can feel the cable attached to the control but have not located a mixing valve I assume it is attached to. 
My questions are, where is the valve and is it necessary to disassemble the dash to get to it. If so how is the padded portion of the dash removed.
Thanks

If the dash is like mine then the padded portion of the dash (the ‘rear’ section) is attached with plastic pins - put your fingers under the lower side of the dash and you can feel the pins. You can pull (harder than you think you should pull) to get the pins on bottom and top to come loose. You may have to use a hand on both sides of the pins to get them to come loose. *** caution: putting the pins back on is VERY difficult and may cause extreme frustration! Some members here have replaced the pins with a large strip of velcro...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

i can tell you where the mixing valve was on my 90. have not looked for it on my 02.

it was under the floor on the passenger side. i replaced the boden cable on it. it was accessed from the passenger side front bay where the blower fan for the genny was. i got up there by taking some of the panels off on the right side of the bay. it was up right behind the front cap up in no mans land. at least on the 90, it was not accessible from the inside of the coach under the dash.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(11-15-2017, 12:44 PM)encantotom Wrote:  i can tell you where the mixing valve was on my 90.  have not looked for it on my 02.

it was under the floor on the passenger side.  i replaced the boden cable on it.  it was accessed from the passenger side front bay where the blower fan for the genny was.  i got up there by taking some of the panels off on the right side of the bay.  it was up right behind the front cap up in no mans land.  at least on the 90, it was not accessible from the inside of the coach under the dash.

tom

Thanks for your input. I will investigate in the blower compartment before I disassemble the dash. Will let you all know what I find. Looks like a good weekend project. Gets me out of some honey dos.

On my 93 you can see the valve from underneath the right front just to the left of the metal heater box in fan compartment. Mine cannot be seen from the fan compartment.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Bob,

When I first bought my 95, which had a sliding knob for temp control, it was very hard to slide. Investigation showed that Newell had used a very short boden cable to connect the controls to the valve. The short cable had to make a pretty hard bend to fit. I resolved the issue by purchasing a much longer cable and actually making a loop de loop. Worked very easy after that. I was able to access that without taking the dash apart.

Obviously, follow the cable from the dash control to the control valve.

The boden cable looks like one of those wire wound cables you would see on a lawn mower throttle. It's called a boden cable because it has unique fittings on the end. If you google "boden cable" you will find many lengths and suppliers available. It took me a long time to find the part some ten years ago because I simply did not know what it was called.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Took cover off of dash and found that the cable was connected to a flapper instead of a valve. Looks like a box that just let's heat out if the flapper is in the correct position. Got the flapper to move but will replace cable in the spring.
Thanks for all your help. We still have a few projects on this unit but it is getting there.

I am now working on our dash temp control issues. After replacing the dash unit my vacuum pump is now running all the time. Prior to this it would run a few seconds on start up then shut off. I must have a vacuum leak but cannot locate it. Any suggestions on how to trace it down.