You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Advice needed

Hi all,

I may be entering the 2 Newell club if things line up. I will decide which one I keep.
Found a bus that has a 8v92 engine with HT740 Allison, but the Jakes do not currently work.
It is in Vegas. I would have to drive it back to Indiana second week of April if we make a deal.
Any advice as to what route over the rockies would be better knowing that I have no slow down help from the jakes ?
The less elevation the better ANDd since it is April....snow may still be a factor.
Options are
- 15 to 70 and north through Utah,
- 40 east through Albuquerque,
- 10 to 20 through Fort Worth, hug the southern border but adds 350 miles to the trip

Any suggestions and advice ?

MG

i would go from vegas to mesa (phoenix) and have leo at all aboard america fix the jake. it adds less than 200 miles to your trip.

either way, i would take i 40.

you also would pass right by my place on the way from vegas to mesa

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I would get the Jake repaired. Quite often it is a minor wiring issue. Worst case on my 8v-92 was replacing a couple of the solenoids. I dont remember the cost but it didnt "break the bank".

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Try to get "jake" fixed. Ours just needed to be plugged in when we had an issue with it. I think the folks who replaced our blower forgot that step. As for the grades, most on 40 or 10 are long up hill pulls going east. Watch out for over heating issues. There are some pretty steep long down hill runs on 93 from Kingman to Phx. or on 17 from Flagstaff to Phx. Not to mention the long steep up hill out of Camp Verde. I am not a fan of 70 unless starting east of Denver & going east!

Thank you.

I would definitely like to get the jakes fixed, do an oil change and have them clean the radiator just for good measure, if I can get into the All Aboard America shop in Mesa..... I will call Leo and get his thoughts for a tentative April 10-11 date

MG

I would prefer operational Jakes, but I would resist the idea that I'm unsafe without them. Jakes make it easier to safely control speed, but having them fail enroute or beforehand just means I have to slow down and gear down more when descending. It ultimately isn't a matter of safety, it's a matter of the maximum speed at which safety can be maintained. Without operational Jakes the maximum safe speed is reduced.

I use Jakes regularly and am confident I could easily handle it in the unlikely event they decided to take a vacation.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Years ago I came off of the mountain West of Denver without a Jake, and by the time I got to the bottom, I had no brakes. Since the diesel has no vacuum, I would be hesitant to assume a slow speed would save my brakes in the Western US.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica