You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Shower

I am sure that you, like me, lay awake at night just wondering “what is behind my shower enclosure?”.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(03-12-2018, 08:32 AM)Richard Wrote:  I am sure that you, like me, lay awake at night just wondering “what is behind my shower enclosure?”.

that's a big project Richard!  please share more pics

Bryan
Ionia, MI
1983 Apollo Sceptre 35' DP

my goodness, iffn it tain't one thang its'nothur. Looks like you're getting down and dirty so you can stay clean on your summer trip. Good on you. I can't wait to see the results

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

I'm afraid to ask....

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

The good news, everything looks clean and dry!

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

It wasn’t. There was a long term drip around the soap shampoo insert. Strongly suggest that area is recaulked periodically.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

NSFW

The rest of this post is Not Safe for Wife.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Does that mean there is now a camera like in the "tassel" coach?

Sorry, but I had to continue on another post cause the large font made the spacing weird. 

Anyway, this long tale is about how one thing leads to another. It started with a desire to update the coach by replacing the brass fixtures and lamps with chrome or stainless. One of the last remaining items, and one of significance was the brass framed Cesana shower enclosure. I thought it would be rather straightforward to find a SS or chrome framed half round enclosure that would fit right in. This is where I went awry. 

I found what I thought was a suitable replacement. While waiting for the enclosure to arrive, I got the bright idea that since the corian in the shower was cracked (after several failed repairs) that I might as well tear it out and replace with something a little nicer. So out the corian came, in smaller pieces. Turns out corian is brittle and it doesn't like to be pried upon. The first picture you saw at the beginning of the post was what remained after the corian surround and an underlayment of 1/4 plywood was removed. 

I wanted to put stone on the wall. and I didn't want to add even more weight or reduce the size of the shower by attaching cement board to the walls. That is when I decided to waterproof the plywood walls by laminating fiberglass cloth to them with epoxy. It is a common technique that I borrowed from techniques used in building wooden boats or canoes. After consulting with my composites buddy, I used West System 105 epoxy from Jamestown Distributors and 8 oz fiberglass cloth. 

One of the walls was covered with the same laminate as the rest of the coach. I roughed it with 40 grit paper in a side grinder, put one layer of laminate, stapled the first layer of laminate, and then added a second layer to keep the staples from rusting. My testing showed the epoxy to not grip the laminate as tightly as the plywood, and I didn't want the whole wall to peel on me. I mean, after all, once you decide on overkill, where do you stop? 

Here is a pic of the laminated shower walls. 

At this point the original shower base is still intact waiting on the new shower doors. 

The shower doors fit the outline of the base just fine, because after all I had measured the dimensions very carefully before I ordered. But.............I didn't count on the shower doors being 75 inches tall instead of 72. Meaning they hit the ceiling, then I hit the ceiling. There were three options. Send them back. Redo the celing. Redo the shower base. I chose number three because even though the original base would fit the doors , it wasn't perfect.

I went back to the epoxy and fiberglass to make a custom pan for the shower. It had to be the same shape as the doors, fit the existing opening in the tile, have the drain located in the same place, and have a three dimensional contour so water would run to the drain. 

Here is a pic of the shower pan under construction. Bill Johnson helped with the custom contouring of the pan.

And here is a pic of the shower pan in the coach. Since the pan was fiberglass and the walls were fiberglass, I simply used epoxy and glass to affix the pan to the wall for a water tight seam. 

Next I put the marble in the floor and on the wall with epoxy. 

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

That looks amazing Richard.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com