You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

slide creep caused seal to roll out

Tom, I had mine replaced last summer by ABC Bus in Owatonna, Mn. I had to prod Newell to work with them a bit on this. Talked to a Sup.to get a couple calls back to ABC. Anyway, they didn't have to take the slide the way out to get it done. Your tube price was the same.

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Tow 2017 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)

Can’t you over (or under) extend the slide to remove/replace the seal or is that only on the bedroom slide? The WOG group had someone buy a bunch of the slide seal material (bladder) and then they made up the ends as needed with some type of seal to join the ends together. They used a forklift to hold up the slides while working on them... just a thought.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

on the flat floor slides that are hwh, they have to be extended all the way out and then the rams released such that they can come out another 3 or 4 inches or so. you do not have to totally take the slide out, but it is out away from the coach. the bottom of the slide is still in the rail somehow.

according to mark at newell, the drivers side salon seals are the size the kit comes in so there is no cutting and joining needed.

the bedroom bed slide on most of your coaches (not mine) are raised floor slides and can be brought in to change the seal from the outside. not the case with the flat floor hwh slides.

if you have to cut and join the slide seal, the slide has to be removed further and it is alot more work evidently. that is because the metal piece that seals the two pieces of the seal together will not fit in the bottom without the slide taken out further. all of this is according to newell.

i am not intimidated to do this and do not plan on taking it somewhere to have done unless i run into problems.

i read the wanderlodge thread and have talked to david brady in the past. they have a different type of seal than what newell uses. the company that makes the newell seal has a minimum order that is way beyond anything that is acceptable to a small group of guys like us.

as for the forklift idea, i am not willing to take a chance with it. first of all, i dont have one. second of all, it would be very easy to damage the slide with it . third, i would have to find one that has brand new wheels on it as i would not put a beat up one on my shop floor. you would have to see my floor to understand.

so i will have a slide cart and i will use it as a work bench when done. be able to mount a vise and other things on it.

it should be fun.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

i got the new hwh RAP 90729 hydraulic solenoid valves and replace the front and rear extend valves to stop the slide creeping.

note to self and others.......hydraulic fluid under pressure really sprays......

ok, i have done this before, and worked on hydraulics before but......i was taking the old bedroom slide solenoid out. it was the old type so you back the 1/4" nut off exactly 4 1/2 turns to pull the valve back to relieve the pressure so you can take them out. usually you hear some hissing, but i didnt hear it. i used a special tool to go in the two holes in the back of the valve to start backing it out. hmmmmmmm it is turning really hard. my mind said that is because it is still under pressure. but my get it done side of my mind said just keep taking it out. i listened to the side that makes big messes and gets me really dirty. but at least there was no blood.

lets just say there was alot of red stuff that wasnt blood spraying all over. and my bibs need washing and my tshirt too.

oh well, i should listen to the rational side of my brain next time.

i got both solenoid valves changed after that. the other one released the pressure and didnt spray me all over.

life is good covered in ATF

tom

(07-05-2018, 10:01 AM)encantotom Wrote:  hi all,  forest is here and we are working on his coach.  then i walked to the drivers side of mine and saw both slides had creeped out.  the bedroom one about an inch because the pins were down.  the salon slide about 3 inches because the pins were not engaged and the slide seal has rolled completely out in places.  

and the 2 inch trim piece below the slide on one piece has slid up and needs moved down and riveted.  

the seal is the original and has the paint from original done so it is about 18 years old.  so am thinking i probably should just put a new one in.  

newell says you can get it back in with some work but it will not be glued in anymore.  i would rather fix it right in the comforts of my shop than on the road somewhere.  

looks like it is time to make some slide support mechanisms to take the slide out.  

always something.

tom
Hi Tom
I recently had my front slide out seal creep out on me on the rear corner (see picture) I was able to push most of it back in but its just to tight at a couple of points This was a new seal replaced in early 2017. Any advice on getting it back in place? Does anyone know if the slide can be shimmed forward to allow the seal to be pushed back into place. The seal holds air with no leakage and should not need replacing. 
Thanks
Dario
2001 #581

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

if you look at my thread on changing my slide seal you will see that just pushing it back in isnt enough.  it has to be forced into the retaining track and that is fairly tough.  according to newell it can be done though.  they made a special pry bar to get in there and to push the seal back into the track.  but there has to be room to do it.  and then there is no adhesive holding it in.  

the groove the seal snaps into takes considerably force for it to snap in.  and even more so if it is dry.  meaning with adhesive on it, that helped to make it a little easier to push in.  

if you were close you could come over and we could take the slide out and fix it.  

as for shimming it forward, i would be wary of doing that.  

by the way, you should be trying to do this when the slide is out a little to pop it back in.  that gives you a little more room.  the track that it snaps into is hard rubber.  and is the width of the seal when it is flat.  and you can see from looking at the seal that is out  where the piece that snaps in is.  

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Try for a warranty fix if possible.

(12-10-2018, 08:18 AM)encantotom Wrote:  if you look at my thread on changing my slide seal you will see that just pushing it back in isnt enough.  it has to be forced into the retaining track and that is fairly tough.  according to newell it can be done though.  they made a special pry bar to get in there and to push the seal back into the track.  but there has to be room to do it.  and then there is no adhesive holding it in.  

the groove the seal snaps into takes considerably force for it to snap in.  and even more so if it is dry.  meaning with adhesive on it, that helped to make it a little easier to push in.  

if you were close you could come over and we could take the slide out and fix it.  

as for shimming it forward, i would be wary of doing that.  

by the way, you should be trying to do this when the slide is out a little to pop it back in.  that gives you a little more room.  the track that it snaps into is hard rubber.  and is the width of the seal when it is flat.  and you can see from looking at the seal that is out  where the piece that snaps in is.  

tom
Thanks Tom

Is that a picture of the pry bar? If so, where did you get one? I am in south Florida and soon to be moving to Franklin North Carolina, where are you located?
Dario

that is a picture of the pry bar. and that was newells, they sent me a picture of it. i did not use or make one. newell made there. i think steve magown was going to make one. did you steve?

i am in arizona. that is right next to north carolina i think. i wasnt very good at geography

tom

(12-10-2018, 08:26 AM)encantotom Wrote:  that is a picture of the pry bar.  and that was newells,  they sent me a picture of it.  i did not use or make one.  newell made there.  i think steve magown was going to make one.  did you steve?

i am in arizona.  that is right next to north carolina i think.  i wasnt very good at geography

tom

I think its a little South West, but should be nice this time of year. I think I will call Newell today and ask about the pry bar and if they think I can do it without removing the slide out. I did read your post on changing your seal and it looks like a pretty big job for me to try as I do not have the right facility for it.
Thanks
Dario