You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator belt

Something that is out of sight can be out out of mind. This is my old gen belt that is very hard to see. It was still working bit very short on time.

Ron Gripon
2003 coach 660-F150 
2005 Porsche Boxster

Wow Ron! you were lucky to catch that when you did. I put a new belt on mine when the bearings went out....right before members on this forum found a better arrangement that does not need a belt.

If I ever have trouble again, I will change out the blower for a unit that has internal motor vs. the external motor, fan belt arrangement.

Again....glad you found the belt before it broke.

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

(07-06-2018, 01:25 PM)bikestuff Wrote:  Wow Ron!  you were lucky to catch that when you did.  I put a new belt on mine when the bearings went out....right before members on this forum found a better arrangement that does not need a belt.  

If I ever have trouble again, I will change out the blower for a unit that has internal motor vs. the external motor, fan belt arrangement.

Again....glad you found the belt before it broke.

bill

Hi Bill, that was the water pump belt. Luck was on my side.

Ron Gripon
2003 coach 660-F150 
2005 Porsche Boxster

Ron,

You tried to tell me! But I did not listen!

From now on, when Ron talks I will try to pay closer attention.

This morning, I cranked the genny and just happened to look a few minutes later and found high temperature on the gauge. I went outside and observed a broken belt. While I was looking at the genny, it shut down.

It took me visiting 5 parts places to find the correct belt.

So....don't be like Bill and not have checked your radiator belt on your genny. Also don't be like Bill and not have a spare with you.

The belt looked super good from the outside. It still had its part numbers clearly visible. The rubber looked fine. But....If I had looked closely, I would have seen missing teeth in the belt. The store only had one belt of the correct size, but rest assured I will get another one and will keep with the coach.

Ron tried to tell us...but I for one did not listen. My bad!

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama