You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Tire Pressure Help

Newell gave me weighing numbers for 744 with full fuel and water.

Steer 8470/8390 = 16,860

Drive 11,440/11,350 = 22,790

Tag.   7440/7200 = 14,640

Total 54,290 

Tire pressures from Michelin: 

Steer 100psi 

Drive 85psi  ?? 

Tag 110psi 

Am I reading the chart correctly for the 315/80R 22.5 Dual ? 85psi for 11,680lbs.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.

I’m running mine with 100psi all around to make it easier. I wish I could find a place with individual weights to check it. Maybe there is somewhere near DC that could do that? How do we find these places? A good TPMS is worth it’s weight in gold if you have a slow leak. I have never had a tire blow out but our rear tires are always under 7 years old and 5 y/o on the front...
BTW, you might check the inside front tires and make sure there are no scratch marks from turning too hard - mine has a little of the inside tire eaten away (the labels about 3” down from the top of the tire). I think there is a post on here about them hitting the air bag mounts but I can’t find it...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

I hope this is a useful place to post this.    I was in the Newell service department this week and noticed, as perhaps many of you have, the tire pressure chart prominently displayed.    Have not seen it posted on this site, so here you go.

Chuck

2001 #579 ("Chester's Coach")

Thanks Chuck!

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Hello Guys,
From over the pond in the UK, #1218 with 385's on the front, when we have a Dept transport check every year and part of that check is a brake test on rollers, these rollers are level with the ground and give a very exact weight reading, full of fuel and water plus I have an additional tank in the front bay, a jet wash water reel jack tools ETC
Front 8275KG = 18,43LB and 125PSI cold
Drive 11344KG= 25,009LB and 115PSI "
Tag 7856KG= 13,19LB and 115PSI "
Total 27350KG= 60,561LB

#1218 in Europe based in the UK

Thanks for posting that! Although I have copies all over the place of the tire charts, someone has taken the time to list All of the tires that one would encounter and put them into one chart. NICE!!!!

Now to figure out how to get that picture to my phone.........

It's not great but I was able to invert the colors in case you want to print. I am also attaching as a file, instead of imbedding because it is easier for me to transfer a file to another computer or my phone.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

If you really want to start a kerfluffle then start a discussion about the proper tire inflation pressure, or how long to run your tires. Based on a discussion with another guru, it was demonstrated the posted chart could be interpreted far differently than I would interpret.

So, in my unasked for opinion, the proper air inflation pressure is to weigh the coach and use the chart for the tire and the weight to determine the proper pressure at ambient.

It was pointed out by @"bikestuff" that the very top of the chart clearly shows inflation pressures recommended by Newell.

In my opinion, those are pressures recommended for coaches being made today. After all, they weigh over 60K lbs.

If you inflated my tires to that pressure, it would be like driving a buckboard wagon. Our rig weighs about 52 fully wet.

Maybe the two interpretations did not need to be pointed out. But again, we never know who, with what experience level, will read any of our posts.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I love a good kerfluffle !   ( “to throw into disorder.”) I was pleased to see the old 11r 24.5 chart  in there for those of us that have "classic:" coaches. . I run a higher pressure than dictated by our front axle weight. When I drop to 90 lbs, which the chart indicates, the tire sidewall flex makes it feel like I am on marbles. If it wears a little too much in the center with a higher presssure , I will never know, as we reach the 5 years point, (which in itself is a topic for a second kerfluffle) at about 60 thousand miles. My last set of 24.5 tires are living a happy second life on a semi hay trailer in Solvang California

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

It's probably obvious to everyone, but for completeness and accuracy, measure tire pressures after the coach has been sitting long enough for the tires to reach ambient temperature.

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer" 

So, I have 24.5 H range tires on my coach. It has no slides and the Dana IFS with ABS. I haven't yet been able to weigh it. For my long drive back, what pressure should I start at for the Steer, Drive and Tag axle tires?

Max. Load is listed as 120PSI for these tires.

Thanks!

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan