You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

99 newell front airbag change

We had our airbags replaced on our coach last summer.  It was kind of a ransom situation where we took it to a shop for other work and they pulled the airbags saying they needed replaced.  They then told me the cost $6,000!!  I wanted to say no and take it elsewhere but with the bags off I couldn’t drive it and I was paying them whether they put the old bags or new ones on at this point.  I am sure I was ripped off but I did get new bags and a lesson about that particular shop (one I won’t use again).  

Side note that is the cleanest shop/garage floor I have seen in the pictures.

Mark and Melanie
1985 Newell 40’
#75 ? (still not confirmed)
First motor coach

mark, kind of you to say. normally my floor is cleaner than it shows in the pictures. i had been working for a while and had not cleaned it much lately. i try to make it so i can go barefoot if i want too.

the airbags are not all that hard to change. biggest issue is having the jackstands and tools and the actual airbags.....

. to make it easy you really need

1. 4 jackstands that can hold the bus. i used individual 22 ton jackstands.
2. a hydraulic jack strong enough to take the coach up enough to take the tires off. i use a low profile air over hydraulic jack
3. 1" air impact gun. i have special larger air line ports in my shop for that
4. big air compressor...
5. right 1" impact sockets for your wheels lugnuts
6. big open end wrenches for the lines on the bag. i think this time they were 1 1/2" and 1 1/4"
7. normal wrenches and sockets for airbag mounting bolts
8. helps to have a truck tire/wheel dolly to take the tire off and put it back on and wheel it around.
9. shop air helps alot for putting air in the suspension. i keep both of my newells hooked up all the time
10. a torque wrench to put 450-475 ft lbs of torque on when you are done. i have a 4' torque wrench and also use a 475lb torque stick.
11. a handy helper. i happen to have a retired farmer/mechanic next door. who is better than me at stuff....
12. the right music playing in the background
13. clarke to come and check if we are ok occasionally
14. and to be in no rush.

i have the luxury of being able to do all of these......

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

i put the slides out and raised it up and then leveled it. it has been rock solid for 2 days, not dropping at all. i wish my 02 would do the same.....ha

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Guy, have you completed the replacement of your air bags? If so, what brand and model did you get and where did you source them? Approx costs? My '84 seems to have the original air bags on it and I am concerned that they may need to be replaced soon.

Glenn & Laureen Parker
Austin, Texas
1984 Newell 35'  (Coach #58? - not confirmed)
6v92 TA Detroit Diesel, MT654 Allison 5 speed trans
2005 Honda Element toad
2007 Honda S2000 fun car

Yes the "hippie bus" as our friends call it has returned.  The Cliff Notes  version is the bags easy to source, and all of mine were waaaay past time to replace. At this time we have the four rear done, along with DOT fittings and air lines to the brake chambers. We are also sporting a new exhaust system.

I have the best of the removed bags to carry as a spare until we replace the 4 front bags in  the fall. 

If any Gurus are interested I will post pictures of the carnage .

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

It's Official, the new part number for the "unobtanium" Firestone steer axle airbag W01-358-8087 is...

drumroll please... W01-358-9200

This is directly from Newell. They do have them in stock, but can be sourced elsewhere.

I was told by Newell that they will require a different sized air line.. but they couldn't remember if it was 3/8 or 1/4.

I am ordering All the bags for my 96 with Dana IFS/ABS to try and get them done either before I travel home from Albuquerque or on the way.. They are all holding air at the moment, but are of unknown vintage. At the very least i would like to replace the fronts for safety's sake.

Wish i had access to my tools, but I'm flying out and driving back to NY.... A little bit on the scary side.. Smile

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

Thank you for posting that number!

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

No worries. I am attempting to get them changed before I leave. If I can get all of them done, I will, if just the fronts, so be it. I have a buddy in Adams TN that can help me swap them out, but for safety's sake I believe the fronts should be done before the 10+ hour trip there.

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller

Email me when you get ready to do the rears. There are some tricks to make a tough job easier.

First of all the air fitting is probably 1 1/2 inches. It is a really tight place to work. 1 1/2 crows foot, 1 1/2 open end wrench, and 1 1/2 wrench with angled ends are all useful https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08J8F9XTX?psc...ct_details

Once the air fitting is removed, the JIC to SAE fitting screwed into the air bag is likely seized. You cannot remove the air bag with the fitting in place. Sawzall the fitting off, and use new ones for the new bags.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard,
That is precisely why this forum is such a valuable resource!!!

By rear, you mean TAG? Or DRIVE and TAG?

Rick

P.S. Great name!

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller