You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Yet another think horses not zebras post

Six years ago when I bought the coach, the generator took three or four attempts to actually fire and run. You could run the prime on the pump and it would crank right up. Replacing the fuel pump ( with it's internal check valve) solved the problem. 

In the last month it started again. Ok, I know this drill. Amazon delivers the pump and I install last night while fending off mosquitos. 

However, it is really hard to get it to fire now. Fire and stumble. Fire and stumble. Repeat about ten times despite burping the fuel system twice. I finally get it running. Flip on the ACs to put a load on it and it dies. Hmmm, try the Aquahot and the generator slows and dies. I am thinking about this time that das ist nicht gud. 

Ok, calm down. Do you put the old pump back on? Let's think, diesels are simple animals that need fuel and air. What keeps it from getting fuel. Filters. Hmmm. Change out both filters, prefilling them with ATF. Fires right up and runs without any further problems. 

Yeah, yeah, I know. Follow my own advice. Look at simple first. 

In my defense, in 15 years of motorhoming, this is the first time I have ever had to change a filter because the engine was starving.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

When was the last time you had replaced those filters?

Oscar & Janet Valent
Full timing
2004 Foretravel U320 3820 PBBS
2007 Newell Coach #815 - Great Coach Sold
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

Oscar, the filters had right at 900 hours on them. So I was using the Presidential election schedule as a basis.

So now I know to replace them at 500.

And I know what the tell tale symptom is.

Yeah, I know, should have changed them preemptively.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

FYI  The Kohler manual calls for an even more aggressive filter change schedule than you are contemplating.  The manual suggests fuel filter change at 300 hrs.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531