You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Odd Plumbing on 84 Classic

We discovered something surprising about our plumbing yesterday. We have owned this 84 Classic coach for a year but had only used it a few times prior to the past month. We started boondocking a few days ago. We noticed that our shower was not draining and water from the kitchen sink seemed to be coming up through the shower drain. After several attempts to clear the shower drain we decided to carefully inspect the plumbing in the water bay. We have only two tanks, which we realized before we bought the coach. We have a fresh water tank and what we thought was a combo black/grey tank. Nope! The grey water from the shower and sinks never goes into a tank. It simply goes over to a discharge/drain paddle valve and backs up in the closed pipe until it comes up through the shower drain. The toilet discharges directly into the second (black) tank but nothing else goes into it. I suddenly realized the importance of what the previous owner told me when she said they never boondocked when traveling. They always stayed where they had full hookups. No need for a grey tank if you are always hooked up when you run the shower or wash dishes. Never boondocking also helps explain why we have a lot of stuff that runs on 120 voltage such as our water pumps, water heater and our Norcold freezer/frig. This rig is optimized for RV park station to station life, not for boondocking. Changes must be made to give us the flexibility we want.

Glenn & Laureen Parker
Austin, Texas
1984 Newell 35'  (Coach #58? - not confirmed)
6v92 TA Detroit Diesel, MT654 Allison 5 speed trans
2005 Honda Element toad
2007 Honda S2000 fun car

On both my 93 and 98 with a single combined tank the valve you're talking about when left open allows the gray water into the tank. When left closed it bypasses the tank. Is yours setup that way?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I don't know, Forrest, but will check this afternoon. We are about to move up the road a few miles. I think opening that valve just allows the grey water to flow out the discharge port. I really hope you are correct.

Glenn & Laureen Parker
Austin, Texas
1984 Newell 35'  (Coach #58? - not confirmed)
6v92 TA Detroit Diesel, MT654 Allison 5 speed trans
2005 Honda Element toad
2007 Honda S2000 fun car

The 1990's models have two drain valves in series. The one closest to the hose connection opens the grey water to the drain hose, the one inboard of that valve opens to waste water tank. If the waste water tank valve is closed and the main valve is open the grey water goes out the hose. If the waste water (tank) valve is closed mine has a diversion pipe that overflows into the waste tank. If yours does not have a diversion pipe and has the two valves, close the front valve, open the rear valve and the grey water will flow back into the waste tank.

If yours doesn't have a second valve, I am not sure what they did as I have never seen a Newell with a single waste tank and only one valve on the driver's side.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Please post some pictures of your plumbing bay

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

My 87 has 2 valves.
1st valve is at exit of waste tank.
2nd valve is at end where the "stinky slinky" connects.
The toilet is the only thing that dumps directly into the big tank.
Everything else drains to a pipe that connects between the 2 valves.
If both valves are closed, the gray water backs up to into the tank thru a vent line.

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

As you know, our coaches were built within a few weeks of each other. Ours is just as Kyle describes. We have one tank with a black water valve and just beyond in series is the grey water valve. if both valves are closed , the grey water goes out to the grey water valve, and since it is closed, it backs up (diverts ) to going into the black water tank throug a diverter line. This results in kitchen and bath drains being very slow. Happy to take and post photos if you like. Our setup is a little different han Clarkes. The good news is all of these fittings are residential with the exception of the valve, and Clarke is an expert in the installation of those Smile

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Unfortunately, Glenn's setup (courtesy of the prior owners) does not allow the gray water to enter the holding tank anywhere but at the bottom where you would normally open the valve to dump the tank. If that valve were open when the other valve is closed the gray water could enter the tank, but at some point the gray water would stop being admitted to the holding tank when the water level gets to a certain point. Ideally there should be some place, such as the vent tube mentioned by Kyleb, for the gray water to enter somewhere up higher.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

then replumb it to work right. if we had realized we could have done it when you were here.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Clarke, it is entirely possible that I have misinterpreted what you said.

But as I read it, if the grey water will go into the bottom of the waste tank with the proper valve arrangement, than it will continue to fill the waste tank until the tank is full. As long as the entry points, such as shower, sink, and potty are higher than the top of the tank, gravity will work.

Someone please post a picture or two, this really has the curiosity level up.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )