You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Poll: slide seal day - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
yes i would like to attend
0%
0%
no, i would like to but can't
100.00%
100.00%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

hwh slide seal day in wittmann

hi all,  

sometime in the next month we are doing a slide seal on a 2003 newell at my place in wittmann arizona.  i will post the date soon.  

i welcome any gurus that would like to join us to help and or watch.  it will take us most of a day i am guessing.  

this is a front slide seal that rolled out alot and we will probably be changing the extend hydraulic solenoid as well.  as it had creeped out and rolled the slide seal out.  

please let me know who is in the area and interested in joining us.  we will be doing it inside my shop so weather has no impact.  

and we will feed you as well.  

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

i got no takers, but thought i would throw it out again. we are doing a front slide seal starting tuesday dec 8 at my place on tonys coach.

we will do most of the work on wednesday.

i live in wittmann az, between surprise and wickenburg az

let me know if anyone is interested in coming and helping and or watching

tom

I wanted to make it to help and see the steps it takes to get it done, but I can't get away this month.

I do need to replace the slide blocks on the drivers side bedroom slide (I already replaced the seal in October) and the Front Salon slide seal is the original and has a bubble in it so it's going to need to be replaced pretty soon. Both repairs require a cart since the slides have to come out of the coach to do both repairs.

Maybe we could tackle both at the same time some time in 2021.

Regards,
Ron

Ron & Jennifer Ward
2003 Newell Show Coach #643 (Racer Bus) Triple Slide, DD 60
Visalia, CA

This is a great comradery and learning opportunity I will have to miss since I'm still in the working world.
I look forward to these and other events with fellow RV'rs.

Hank

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

I missed the original posting and didn't see it until today. I'd made an appointment with MVD to register our coach tomorrow before our temporary permit runs out otherwise I'd have gladly driven up from Tucson and braved the Phoenix traffic to be there.

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer" 

day 1. 

we got tony and his coach in the shop and assessing what we are going to do. 

i had a good look over the situation.  first of all, he has the rivet issue that so many of us have.  we will fix that while he is here as well.  his top and bottom skin between the slides had shifted about a quarter of an inch and was causing an issue with his rear slide skin. 

his front slide seal is rolled out about 3 feet on the front vertical side and another 3 foot of so on the bottom. 

we started removing the outside trim for the rivet fix and will complete that when the seal is done.  all of the rivets between the two slides have sheared off. 

we also started removing the interior slide trim pieces in preparation for removing the slide.  unfortunately, this coach is the difficult to work on slide mechanism.  we got the overhead valence off, the trim piece that is covered with leather that goes over the window off. 

tomorrow we will put the coach up on jackstands to stablilze it, remove the remaining overhead pieces keeping the slide in and put the slide cart on it and unscrew the two rams.  when we have the slide positioned outside the coach, we will clean and reglue the seal in (hoping it is still good since it is only 3 years old) and not punctured.  then we will seal along the interior edge of the slide with 3m 5200. 

i got a hydraulic solenoid to replace the extend front salon solenoid that caused the creep out in the first place. 

i ordered two vacuum pump so we can plumb in for the slide seals. 

the green tape in the pictures is where i measured exactly how far out the slide is on front and back so when we screw back in the rams that we put the slide at exactly the same place.   

the round white discs are how the slide trim are held on.  i had to drill out 7 of them to remove them in order to get the adjacent trim pieces off.  we will re rivet them when we are completed with the rivet fix.  going much faster since i have done once before.  

probably another couple of days of work. 

for sure we will still be working on it thursday if anyone still wants to come out.  we can use the help.

fun to hang out with tony.  darlene made a very nice dinner for us.  

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

got the slide out today.  had to call my neighbor to help since 2 of us couldnt do it. 

on examining the seal after having the slide out, almost a third of it was totally out of the track.  when it was replaced a few years ago they didnt appear to use any adhesive to hold it in.  we are fixing that and will do the vacuum pump fix to suck all the air out of the seal.   

we had a tough time getting the slide seal in the track on the bottom.  got about 80 percent of it in, but the last few feet on the bottom is being stubborn.  will give it ago again in the morning.  

the problem is getting enough downward pressure to push it in the track because you cant get directly over it.  

i tried some on the inside vertical wall and it goes right in because you can push directly on it.  

getting the slide rams disconnected is a bear on this version of the slide.  up until sometime in the late 90s the rams were to be disconnected in the ceiling of the bay behind the door and under the front passenger wheel well in a panel that you remove.  then for a few years they went to this version where you have to unscrew the ram from a welded nut under the outside part of the slide floor.  and then to get it back in you have to hold the ram up, push the slide back in and start the threaded part of the ram into the nut without cross threading it.  

we have all the trim pieces off now to finish the rivet repair for shifted skin between the slides once the slide is back in

tom

Tom,

Thanks for the update to this thread. I'm following it with great interest and jealous I can't be there helping and learning first hand.

Hank

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

day 3.  

we found our problem in getting the bottom final 2 feet of slide seal in the track.  when the slide came in with the slide seal rolled out and the slide was still sticking out a few inches it somehow managed to crush about a foot of slide seal track.  pictures are below.  

of course it is where you can hardly see it, and can hardly get at it.  

with one of the lips crushed down, there is now way the seal can pop into the v groove.  

choices are as follows.  

1.  sell me the coach for almost nothing and be rid of it.   (tony didnt care for that one)  it is a very pretty 03.

2.  the track is hard rubber and usually one continuous piece.  but you can order a short section of it, and cut the bac section out and glue in a new one.  

3.  we opted for the more creative way.  where the track is crushed, cut that lip on (it was only one side) and a very short distance.  then used lots of adhesive and glue the seal in the track.  i got the vacuum pumps today so will install and that should keep the seal flat when going out.  the new hwh hydraulic solenoid will fix the slide creep as well.  

hope to get most of it done friday.  i told tony to remember 130 bucks and hour if he was at a shop.  here it is free and he gets free room and board.....ha

fun day

tom

Like I tell my boys, there's always a way! Nice job.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337