You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Changes in the chassis/drivability/livability through the years.

seeing that vinyl flooring makes me smile. newell must have bought a zillion square yards of that stuff.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Ha ! Our coach has bits and pieces in closets of the very same pattern from fall 1983 ! Smile

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Michael, This Cruisair label is on the heaters. Sorry about the irrelevant pic. I couldn’t delete it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Impressive! 18 amps each. 18 amps at 115 volts (using the sticker rather than the plate voltage) would be 2070 watts or 7063 btu for each of the 4 for a total of just over 28k Btu's or about the same as one propane furnace. Running all four doesn't leave much headroom for other electrical usage (refrigerator, battery charger, electric water heater, cooktop, coffee pot, microwave) but it would cover most needs if you stay in above freezing weather or get the coach warm and keep it closed up. Rather ingenious solution.

Looks like they started out as a propane coach and had to improvise as soon as someone decided no propane on board. You do have a unique coach there. Not sure I am aware of another all electric Newell without an Aqua Hot.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thanks Jon and Michael for the additional info on the 80s models! You guys are a wealth of knowledge!

Steve and Linda Burleson 
28 years of RVing
Current RVs: 1986 Newell #125 w/2004 Ram 3500
2006 Keystone Raptor Toyhauler 30' stays at the family farm 
Previous RVs: 1989 Rockwood Driftwood 35' gasser
1978 Georgie Boy 28' 

Steve,

You have gotten some great comments. It might help frame future comments a bit if you would elaborate on how you plan to use the coach in your upcoming retirement. Certainly you are not a new comer to the RV world, and have some bucket list places and things to do. Also, you might talk a bit about your mechanical and electrical comfort level. What hasn’t been discussed on this thread are the jumps in complexity such as all mechanical to computer driven engines, the change in complexity that comes with slide outs, and the change in complexity that came with centrally controlled computer driven coach systems as opposed to discrete switches.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

My understanding is that entertainer coaches were "early adapters" to all-electric. Some locations in the big cities would not allow propane for safety reasons. I have noticed that SMB's tour schedule never takes them to the Northern states in the winter. I doubt if this coach has ever seen snow.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

To add to Richard's comment about mechanical vs electronic engines, most engines used by Newell were mechanical until the late 1980's. I understand that the 10th coach built in 1989 and
the 26th coach had a DDEC II electronic Detroit 8V92 while the 22nd 1988 coach still had a mechanical 8V92. The mechanical coaches are easier to work on in some respects but the electronic coaches can be easier to diagnose issues and the Silverleaf electronic monitoring systems work with them to replace the mechanical gauges. By late 1993 DDEC III was being used and mated to an electronic version of the Allison HT741 in lieu of the mechanical Allison HT740. When the first Series 60 Detroits were put into Newells in late 1994, they retained the HT 741s transmission. By early 1995 models, there was a mix of transmissions as the Allison 6 speed typically the HD4060 transmission was beginning to be installed. By 1996 models, all that I am aware of had the HD4060 6 speed.

The newer the coach the more systems are powered by air which adds complexity. Air toilets, interior air pocket doors, air operated generator slide outs, air drivers seat, air operated dump valves on the waste tank, etc.

By 1996, coaches were starting to see increased us of power Girard main awnings in lieu of the Zip-Dee manual main awnings.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I've seen posts addressing my questions before, not sure if it was on this forum or not. Seeing as this thread is titled "Changes in the chassis/drivability/livability through the years" I figured it was a good spot to address them.

My first Newell was a 1973, my current is a 1986. I realize there is a large gap of years inbetween, but I was curious about certain changes that I feel are significant to this thread.

1. My 73 had the top of the wheel wells protruding up through the floor. When they changed this it gave additional height to the storage bays and flattened the floors. I'm sure this also raised the center of gravity by my 86 certainly doesn't have any driveability issues from it.

2. My 73 had a combination leaf spring airbag suspension. I could change the ride height by getting under the coach and adjusting the ride height control valve, but it had no way to level the coach other than driving up on blocks. My 86 has the 8 airbag suspension and has a manual leveling system controls in the cockpit.

3. My 73 had a gasoline generator with a separate tank for gasoline. The generator exhausted directly under the coach. My 86 has a diesel generator using the same tanks as the engine, and it exhausts through the roof. This makes a huge difference, especially dry camping in a dusty environment.

I'm sure these improvements weren't made in a single model year, just curious when they evolved and if it was all models or through user options negotiated prior to manufacture.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Jon, typically Newells evolved. In the late 60's and early 70's Newells were front engine gasoline powered. In 1969 L.K. Newell built his first rear gasoline engine coach using a Madsen school bus chassis. In 1970, L.K. built his own rear engine chassis. 1972 was the first year Newell built a coach with a rear diesel engine at the insistence of Al White, who continued to buy and own Newells for 35 years. Newell continued to make front engine coaches until 1976 although most were rear engine. The Newell rear engine chassis allowed taller bays, flatter floors inside and served the company well by allowing flexibility in interior layout and would be a tremendous benefit when slides were introduced over a decade later. The front engine Newells had generators toward the rear. The rear engine Newells have generators located in or toward the front. The coaches started out with leaf springs and the added supplemental air. The extra weight of the rear engine hanging off the back and especially with the introduction of diesel engines started a movement toward increased use of air and through time, the leaf springs were eliminated. I do not know when the first Newell with full air suspension was made. Since so many of the old generators have been replaced, I have no records to indicate the change over from gasoline to diesel but I suspect that change was in response to the increased percentage of diesel engines driving Newell to start using diesel generators. 1973 was a transitional year with both front and rear engine chassis available. Since 1977 all Newells have had rear diesel engines.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com