You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

TV Ceiling mount.

I need a little advice. I would like to do a pull down tv in our classic Newell. I am totally ignorant as to what is behind the "covered wagon" style ceiling in these early coaches. I am afraid that any exploration is non reversable. Has anyone done this, or pulled down the fabric, and made note of the approx dimensions of the runners?

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

I was hoping to find something that I could mount inside the existing hole for the old TV.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Oh boy!

The first Newell I owned had a pull down TV installed. It was an abomination in that it took about 8 inch of ceiling ht, and it blocked the front two seat when deployed. The problem is that that is not enough room between the ceiling and the roof to properly recess it. It took weeks of work, and redoing the entire ceiling to fix that hot mess.

I would look into a projector and drop down screen if BIG TV is what you are looking for. Micheal may be able to provide some guidance in that area.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks for the advice Richard. I really don't need another hot mess in my life !

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

After much indecision I went with a 32 inch TV mounted in the same location as the old one . The  TV is attached to two drawer slides which allows it to drop down enough to clear the doors in the overhead . Cables are used to hold the TV in the "up " position . 
I looked at the doing something like swinging down from the ceiling , but it looked like a can of worms . After reading Richard's post I'm glad I abandoned that idea !

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

I like that idea .

Thank you.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

I just installed a 42 in tv in my 86 Newell it blocks a couple of the gauges on drivers side of upper gauges but it flips down to get to that space I was just messing around but it worked so well I kept it perfect position out of the way people asked if it came with it . That’s how good it looks oh well buying a newer Newell now can’t stand success constant search for something else I guess.

@[email protected], please post pictures!! One of my many projects for the future.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Here is how I mounted my TV. I made the hinge mount to fasten to the existing cabinetry. The prop rod drops in place to hold the tv up while accessing the cabinets. Inside the space taken by the old tube TV, I made shelves to hold CDs in a way they wouldn't tend to wander around while traveling. The center divider between the CDs has a carpet lined pocket to prevent the prop rod from rattling.

A rooster latch keeps things closed when not accessing storage behind the TV.

I made a drawer for easier access to the CD player.

I hope this helps show another option for a custom TV mount.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740