You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Running on 30 amp?

Steve.....we love low tech, right?

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

yep! no fun! Low tech for me, Clarke. We have two different memberships, Colorado River Adventure Adventures and Thousand Trails. As far as I know Most or All of the sites are 30 Amp Service.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

30 amps, i think it takes that to flush the toilet in my rig......

we have been running everything on the inverter since about 4pm yesterday (it is 7am now). the fridge, all the tv's, sat, compressor, water pump, fans.

but thankfully, dont need any aircons. it is cool here in iowa and it rained for a few hours last nite.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I have had some success using a splitter when there is only 30 amps. When on 30 amps I have to load shed, watching closely what I am using. I can do most things, just one at a time.

I notice that some of you are planning travel in Canada after the Spearfish get together. I think that you will find that a lot of Canadian campgrounds are older by USA standards. A lot of them do not have 50 amps.

Peter Haggins
Courtenay BC
Canada
96 Wanderlodge 42' Mid Door

Yes Peter that is what I'm concerned about. We'll probably be spending 3 or 4 weeks in Canada and even though we probably won't need a/c was wanting to make sure I won't have problems with the other systems. Only had this coach a couple months and not yet familiar enough with it.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Any update on this thread? We are about to visit a park with only 30 amp for a few days. I just ordered a 50amp female to 30amp male adapter. I am hoping I am able to run at least 1 AC on 30amp, and use the gen for peak loads like cooking etc.

Think about this scenario, I will probably only have 2 of the 4 power lights displayed, correct? So only any devices that are 110v will operate, but will all of,them be accessible? What about AC on low power?

Any first hand experience?

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

First of all, where are you that you will need AC for the next few days? Central America?

You will not be able to run the stovetop since it requires 220. You may or may not get electric heat to the Aquahot.

You can run ONE AC compressor on 30 amp. Set the thermostat to low, and turn the other AC unit off. My experience was the both units set on low would trip a 30 amp breaker.

All of your 110 plugs will work. All that happens in the 30 to 50 adapter is that both legs of the 50 amp circuit are now combined and fed by one leg of 30 amp. The nomenclature is confusing. When you are plugged into 30 amp, you only have 30 amps available, TOTAL. When plugged into 50, you have 50 on each leg, for 100 amps total. Meaning that when you are using 30 you add both the amp meters together to see how you are using power. When on 50 amp, service you look at them individually to not exceed 50.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I've successfully used one of these cheaters to provide power to both legs. Depending on the power pole you may have 1 30amp + 1 15/20amp you can use. Or if you don't have a neighbor use the adjoining campsites 30amp plug. Handy item to have with you.

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Indus...mp+cheater

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

On 30 amp single leg 120 vac shorepower, only the 120 vac Aqua Hot heating element will work, 220 vac element will not draw current. It provides 1650 watts, 5000 btus of heat. Draws 12 to 14 amps of the 30 available when on.

Will not support a normal shower but will keep coolant tank at temp when no heat loads are on, interior heating, basement heating or hot water use. Will need the diesel burner in temps below 50 or 45 degrees for heating and for showering.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

(01-03-2018, 05:53 AM)Richard Wrote:  First of all, where are you that you will need AC for the next few days? Central America?

You will not be able to run the stovetop since it requires 220. You may or may not get electric heat to the Aquahot.

You can run ONE AC compressor on 30 amp. Set the thermostat to low, and turn the other AC unit off. My experience was the both units set on low would trip a 30 amp breaker.

All of your 110 plugs will work. All that happens in the 30 to 50 adapter is that both legs of the 50 amp circuit are now combined and fed by one leg of 30 amp. The nomenclature is confusing. When you are plugged into 30 amp, you only have 30 amps available, TOTAL. When plugged into 50, you have 50 on each leg, for 100 amps total. Meaning that when you are using 30 you add both the amp meters together to see how you are using power. When on 50 amp, service you look at them individually to not exceed 50.

Next week I will be in Kissimmee FL at the Mecum auto auctions. While the temps are cool this week, the next week forecast is in the 70’s day time, so I may need some AC during the day time. Originally, I was dry camping and going to use the generator when needed. However, my neighbor in Destin offered me his RV site with power. It was not till after I committed that I found out it was only 30amp power. Thus, I am trying to figure out if I can use the power or if I paid for an upgrade for naught and will end up using the gen anyways :-)

Thanks for the details!

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model