You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Nissan Leaf Battery

While there is probably no safer lithium nickel cobalt aluminum oxide ("NCA") battery one could install in a coach than a Tesla pack, that chemistry is very aggressive and subject to thermal runaway, like many of the other EV lithium chemistries. In an environment like an RV, where pets or children could be asleep or trapped inside, I couldn't convince myself that a potentially super-exothermic pack would be safe enough for me to sleep well at night (and sleep literally on top of the pack, as it happens).

A lithium iron phosphate pack (LiFePO4, or "LFP"), on the other hand, has slightly less energy density but a much better thermal safety envelope. For boats and RVs, where unattended operation is important, where discharge current is small relative to pack capacity, and where space is not at quite as much of a premium vis a vis a car, LFP is perhaps the best compromise between safety and energy density.

While I am proud of these guys for experimenting and pushing the envelope, and I know a few of them personally at this point, I do not agree with their risk-benefit analysis. I hope they are lucky or that I am wrong; either would be fine.

2008 Newell #1234
Boulder, CO

Messages In This Thread
Nissan Leaf Battery - by HoosierDaddy - 01-23-2018, 05:44 PM
RE: Nissan Leaf Battery - by Richard - 01-24-2018, 03:04 AM
RE: Nissan Leaf Battery - by Little - 01-24-2018, 09:15 AM
RE: Nissan Leaf Battery - by bikestuff - 01-24-2018, 09:28 AM
RE: Nissan Leaf Battery - by Little - 01-24-2018, 11:20 AM
RE: Nissan Leaf Battery - by superbirds - 02-07-2018, 05:16 PM
RE: Nissan Leaf Battery - by HoosierDaddy - 03-03-2018, 07:35 PM
RE: Nissan Leaf Battery - by Nebster - 03-06-2018, 04:55 PM