You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Somewhere, my father is having a good laugh

Hello, new friends. The title of this posting warrants explanation. My late father was bitten by the RV bug while I was in college. His first cross country trip (Maryland to the West Coast) was completed in a 1988 Porsche cabriolet.  Because he hated spending a hundred bucks or so a night at hotels during this month-long journey, he made the dubious business decision (especially for a Wharton grad) to purchase his first depreciating asset, a 1990 23 ft Class C Tiaoga. That worked well for a year and he then upgraded to a 27ft Class C. The first of several DPs soon followed, ending with a 2013 Newmar Ventana which he had until his demise in 2017. I made endless fun of him for his self-described “trailer trash lifestyle” and the resources constantly dumped into his toys....that is until I used the Ventana last year for a music festival and several road trips to see my daughter’s college soccer games and then, too, became smitten with the freedom and wonderment of motor coaching. We (his estate) ended up selling the Ventana last year for a song, a decision I now regret. While considering options to replace the Ventana, I came across this community and the wealth of information about the Newell brand (I know it’s not Newmar; Newell is a different class altogether) from the many knowledgeable members. As an active member of Audi forums for several years, I appreciate the selfless exchange of ideas, problem solving, and good cheer that flow throughout the various threads. 

Because I have a rear garage that measures around 42’, I am searching for 40’ coach. This must the source of great amusement for my dear departed father who had a healthy appreciation for irony. I have identified two Newells for sale at this length: a 2003 and a 2005. By lurking around this site, I have learned a significant amount about the different engines (Detroit Diesel v. Cat C-13), steerable tag axel, transmissions, etc. I cannot thank you all enough for the content that is allowing me to make an informed decision. I look forward to getting to know many of you. 

Grateful Kev(in) ⚡️?

Messages In This Thread