You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Towing a big coach - what NOT to do...

At the end of another long and exhausting day the mechanics at Bernd's came through! The little 'L'-shaped fitting was the issue. All along we thought the engine or radiator pressure was causing the problems. One of the mechanics was with me at FT, he closed the rear gate and noticed that the door was not flush (I had noticed this also) like it normally was. Then he noticed some coolant coming out over the exhaust pipe. We looked at the little fitting and then one of them noticed that when the rear gate came down it was hitting the fitting and breaking it! After a few opens and shuts of the rear gate we all agreed, went to the store and got another L fitting, removed the broken piece (again) and inserted the new one. This time we routed the hose from the top rather than into the side of the fitting. Problem solved. We still are going to pull the valve covers and check the torque on (I think it is the heads) tomorrow - if they are tight then no problem, if they are loose then there is a big problem $$$$$... 

Thank you ALL for your advice and help during this ordeal - I don't know what I would do without your support (moral and mechanical)!
Not sure why the pictures below came out sideways - they were straight when I took them... so you may have to turn your screen to the right :-)   :-(  
You have to really look but you can see the fitting has the hose coming in from the right-hand (passenger) side but then once we figured out the issue with the door we ran it from the top (mechanic said it could have come over the air intake pipe thingamadoodle)... it is now held on with a large zip tie (the way all things should be held on unless already in place with bailing wire, duck tape, zip-lock bag, or velcro)...  I'll get a 'P' clamp to hold it down... it's on my list... 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Messages In This Thread
Towing a big coach - what NOT to do... - by pairodice - 09-09-2018, 06:57 PM
RE: Towing a big coach - what NOT to do... - by Fulltiming - 09-09-2018, 08:16 PM
RE: Towing a big coach - what NOT to do... - by edkunkel - 09-09-2018, 09:45 PM
RE: Towing a big coach - what NOT to do... - by edkunkel - 09-09-2018, 09:53 PM
RE: Towing a big coach - what NOT to do... - by pairodice - 09-10-2018, 04:40 PM
RE: Towing a big coach - what NOT to do... - by Richard - 09-10-2018, 05:21 PM
RE: Towing a big coach - what NOT to do... - by edkunkel - 04-27-2019, 08:43 PM
RE: Towing a big coach - what NOT to do... - by Ernie - 04-28-2019, 05:33 AM