You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Classic Fuel System

I am looking into making changes to my fuel system and looking for any comments or links on the topic. A little background. It looks as though my coach (1983 with Cummins) originally came with a ConMet water separator and primary fuel filter. These are installed high up in the engine bay, above the injector pump inlet. Somewhere along the line the ConMet was ditched and a disposable one installed. This new style claims to filter the fuel to 20 microns, and the primary filter also filters to 20 microns. Cummins recommends 20 micron.

I am considering moving the filters to be located above the fuel tank, but below the injector pump inlet. I have 3 reasons for considering the move. The first is that air in the system accumulates in the fuel separator because its the highest point. Secondly, the high point puts pressure on the shut off valve and may cause some leak down. Lastly, lowering them will improve the suction from the tank.

My goal is to help improve cold start smoke levels. Reducing air in the system I think may help some. Not looking for miracles, its always going to be a smokey beast naturally. I have checked the fuel lines themselves and haven't found leaks so I believe the air is getting in with the fuel or possibly through the shut down valve.

Anyone think this is a worthwhile venture? Also, anyone see a benefit to having both filters?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Marcus

Former caretaker of 1983 Newell, Cummins VT903, Allison 654CR

Messages In This Thread
Classic Fuel System - by MPerry - 12-08-2018, 11:01 AM
RE: Classic Fuel System - by Fulltiming - 12-08-2018, 05:53 PM
RE: Classic Fuel System - by bestgenman - 12-08-2018, 06:40 PM
RE: Classic Fuel System - by Doug Musick - 01-27-2019, 08:24 AM
RE: Classic Fuel System - by Doug Musick - 01-27-2019, 09:27 AM