You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Engine air compressor/ air dryer

I have had a problem with oil venting from the air dryer discharge since day one of owning the 86 coach . It has the original CR Brakemaster air / dryer heat exchanger . Originally the discharge was routed into the muffler via a copper tube . I replaced the exhaust system from the turbo down pipe , muffler ,etc, and didn't want to go back into the muffler with the discharge , so I plumbed the discharge into a PVC catch tank using steel braid hose . This has helped , but it still lubricates the bumper , trailer , etc . 
  I am aware that the compressor is likely in need of replacement / rebuild , but it will be hard for me to get it out  so I would like to cover all the bases first . I have read posts about replacing the old air dryer with an AD -9 unit and solving  this issue . I have seen this on other sites as well . I started the engine Sunday and noted that from zero psi on the supply side , 90psi brake , to the point of the low air light going off was just under four minutes . I am wondering how this compares to other classics , and has anyone upgraded successfully to the AD-9 ?
Thanks ,
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Messages In This Thread
Engine air compressor/ air dryer - by Tf175 - 02-05-2019, 05:02 PM
RE: Engine air compressor/ air dryer - by 77newell - 02-05-2019, 06:47 PM