You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

changing both electric elements on aquahot

i was getting some popping noises when my aquahot was on electric only.  kinda like when an element is going bad on a house hot water heater.  

so i bought two new elements from roger berke.   a 120v and 240v.  

with some guidance from rudy, i did the job.

i bought a 12v transfer pump from harborfreight.  and two sockets for the hot water heater.  one is a 1 1/2" impact socket that i had machined so there was no taper on the socket.  since the element nut is so slim, a regular socket will not catch enough on it.  i also bought a camco rv water heater element socket which is not impact worthy but served a purpose i discuss later.  

first i took the burner completely out.  disconnected the fuel lines at the burner as that was the easiest.  you have to take the 4 wires that plug onto the two thermostats above the burner to pull those 4 wires out of the housing as they are attached to the burner.  take a picture of how they are connected.  

then i drained the coolant out the drain hose under the coach.  used a storage bin and then pumped the coolant out into 4 five gallon buckets.  it drains fast and the pump is really fast.  

then took the covers off the elements.  they are both at the bottom.  one at the front and one at the rear.  the front one i just put my 1/2" impact gun on it and it spun right out after a number of hard impacts.  the back element is the 240v one and on mine was a real pain in the neck.  the plumbing back there makes it so i could hardly get my fat hands in there.  i put the impact socket on it with a short extension and used a breaker bar and was able to get it out with some effort.  

replaced the front 120v element was easy.  the back one was not.  it is much longer and heavier and i had to have some way of holding it level to get the threads to start.  so i used the camco socket and put a couple of washers in it, then a couple of pieces of tshirt cloth and wedged the element in it enough to hold it so i could used the socket for leverage.  with a bunch of tries i finally got it.  

then buttoned it all back up and was done.  have not fired it up yet but sure it will be fine. 

the elements ohmed out fine and didnt look very corroded.  the 120v one more than the 240v one.  

i also used my 20mp boroscope and examined inside the tank.  looked pretty clean.  

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Messages In This Thread
changing both electric elements on aquahot - by encantotom - 04-01-2020, 04:43 PM
RE: changing both electric elements on aquahot - by encantotom - 04-01-2020, 04:46 PM
RE: changing both electric elements on aquahot - by Fulltiming - 04-01-2020, 09:02 PM
RE: changing both electric elements on aquahot - by bikestuff - 04-02-2020, 04:57 AM
RE: changing both electric elements on aquahot - by folivier - 04-02-2020, 05:13 AM
RE: changing both electric elements on aquahot - by encantotom - 04-02-2020, 03:44 PM
RE: changing both electric elements on aquahot - by Wanderman - 10-23-2021, 09:26 AM
RE: changing both electric elements on aquahot - by Guy - 10-23-2021, 02:57 PM
RE: changing both electric elements on aquahot - by folivier - 10-23-2021, 03:27 PM
RE: changing both electric elements on aquahot - by Wanderman - 10-23-2021, 04:13 PM
RE: changing both electric elements on aquahot - by Wanderman - 11-07-2021, 04:21 PM