You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Poll: slide seal day - You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
yes i would like to attend
0%
0%
no, i would like to but can't
100.00%
100.00%
* You voted for this item. Show Results

hwh slide seal day in wittmann

a few finishing comments.

doing tonys slide took a week. i did the same type slide seal total replacement on mine in a day and half. same slide mechanism. why so long on tonys?

the interior trim was very similar on his. only added thing is that he has electric blinds. those controls are on the end panel behind the driver. that only added a few minutes.

what was the main thin was that once we got the slide removed, (it was much harder to push out and later push back in) was that we spent a couple of days struggling to get the seal popped back into the track on the bottom. it ended up that the track was crushed and wouldnt allow the seal to snap in. the reason we discovered was that the hdpe teflon slide block had somehow come out directly above where the track was crushed. (the track is a hard rubber/plastic that is glued in). we had two choices. choice number one was to order some new track from newell, cut the track out and glue in the new track. there was about 12-18" that needed replacing. choice number 2 was to cut one side of the track out so the seal would lay flat in that short section and use lots of glue and glue it in. choice number two is what tony decided he wanted to do. i think it worked very well. time will tell i guess.

then we re installed the white plastic slide block. for those that have not seen this type of plastic it is used on the bottom of the bed where it slides on the carpet. on my coach they used small blocks of it to mount the bay door remote locks to as well. it is slick and tough. i have a 1/2" of the same type of plastic only black as the skid plates on my rzr.

what makes every coach different is the bays and access underneath. tonys has roof airs and has very different bay access then mine.

the first time we did the seal, i had not done the rivet fix so it caused us some grief by having the trim on the end towards the back of the coach catching on the aluminum skin that had shifted. when we redid the seal the second time, i had already done the rivet fix making that part much easier.

the second time we did the seal it took a day and a half. and i was working on other things while tony and bob worked getting the seal glued in.

the other thing that makes this vintage of coach harder than earlier hwh slide mechanisms is how the 2 hydraulic rams are attached to the slide. somewhere in the early 2000's, newell started having the two rams attach by screwing into the slide in a nut (the end of the ram is threaded). but....it is under the floor and very hard to get at. we ended up buying 90 degree angled 5/8 wrenches to help. then getting the slide back in involved holding the ram up with a cord, pushing the slide in till the rams were touching the nuts welded in the slide and getting them both started without crossthreading them.

the earlier hwh slide mechanisms used a different ram connection setup. you take the bay directly behind the entry door ceiling out and the ram is right there in plain site. the second ram is behind a plate that is in the roof of the passenger side front tire wheelwell.

just take the nut off and you have it disconnected. much easier.

since each newell has different trims on the slide, each one is a treasure hunt on how to get those trims pieces off. i am convinced after tearing my coach all apart on the inside, that the newell engineers that designed those ways of connecting trim were also jigsaw puzzle designers.

the good new is that with tony, he was in no rush, i was in no rush to get his coach out of my shop so we took the time it needed to get everything done. i kept telling tony that we had no rush, no pressure and to just take our time and do it right. the other thing is that i enjoy doing this and part of the experience is hanging out with incredible people like tony, bob and glen. we laugh alot and have a great time. even went out at sunset to watch the sun set in the desert sky in the rzr.

i know with all the problems he was glad the 150 dollar and hour labor rate clock wasnt running. ha

we didnt kill ourselves working on it either. we knocked off late afternoon and didnt start until 9 most mornings. and took breaks whenever we felt like it. i have a lazy boy that moves around the shop that we kept by where we were working.

i know soon there is another guru that has a 97 that wants to do a front slide seal and do a replacement of it. then i will get to do one that is the older type of connections.

later

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Messages In This Thread
hwh slide seal day in wittmann - by encantotom - 11-11-2020, 12:28 PM
RE: hwh slide seal day in wittmann - by encantotom - 12-07-2020, 05:32 PM
RE: hwh slide seal day in wittmann - by Wardworks - 12-08-2020, 08:51 AM
RE: hwh slide seal day in wittmann - by hbens - 12-08-2020, 09:57 AM
RE: hwh slide seal day in wittmann - by Winegrower - 12-08-2020, 11:18 AM
RE: hwh slide seal day in wittmann - by encantotom - 12-08-2020, 08:09 PM
RE: hwh slide seal day in wittmann - by encantotom - 12-09-2020, 08:08 PM
RE: hwh slide seal day in wittmann - by hbens - 12-10-2020, 08:15 AM