You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Grohe shower valve leaking with fix

Gurus,

The shower valve is back in place and the leak has stopped. Here is what I learned from this job....

1). Make careful notes about how the handle pieces come apart. Although I have added an explosion diagram to the first post, it is hard to read and the parts go back together in a very specific way.

2). It is possible to replace the stop valves without completely removing valve from the shower. Look closely at the pictures and you will know what to do.

3). I seriously considered replacing the valve with a newer vintage shower valve...but the way this one is made means that its life is measured in decades rather than years.

4). Although Grohe was not interested in sending me free stuff....they were very helpful in figuring out what I had and in general how to fix it. Good company.

5). This problem was not at all obvious. A few trickles of water running down inside the shower is easy to overlook. I would bet that this problem has been here for a couple of years. It explains why my Headhunter water pump would kick on every once in a while. Since the fix I have not heard any non-commanded running of the water pump.

6). The screws that are on top of the shut off valves were a bit tight but came off easily when I had the valve in my hand. I should have tried harder with the valve in place. Be sure to use a large bladed screw driver.

7). On the far left and right of the valve are some flat screws. THESE ARE NOT THE STOP VALVE SCREWS. These are for residential applications where it is difficult to turn the water supply off. They can turn 1/4 of a turn to turn off the water to that side of the valve. Mine are stuck in the “on” position and did not want to turn. I decided that they can stay stuck since we have easy ways of turning off the water to the shower. 1) turn the valve in the water bay and 2) turn the pump off.

For what its worth!
Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Messages In This Thread
Grohe shower valve leaking with fix - by bikestuff - 03-16-2021, 12:23 PM
RE: Grohe shower valve leaking with fix - by 360 - 03-16-2021, 01:34 PM
RE: Grohe shower valve leaking with fix - by bikestuff - 03-16-2021, 02:05 PM
RE: Grohe shower valve leaking with fix - by encantotom - 03-16-2021, 02:21 PM
RE: Grohe shower valve leaking with fix - by House Divided - 03-16-2021, 03:11 PM
RE: Grohe shower valve leaking with fix - by 360 - 03-16-2021, 03:31 PM
RE: Grohe shower valve leaking with fix - by Keith Jordan - 03-16-2021, 04:02 PM
RE: Grohe shower valve leaking with fix - by Winegrower - 03-16-2021, 10:01 PM
RE: Grohe shower valve leaking with fix - by bikestuff - 03-23-2021, 08:13 AM