You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Bad Fuel

(09-03-2013, 07:51 AM)prairieschooner Wrote:  Our '82 had been sitting for 7+ years and since I was concerned about just this I took a different approach than "polishing". Polishing is simply filtering. Most of the companies will then clean the tank by spraying the sides of the tank to knock off any debris with the filtered fuel.
Since my '82 has Black Iron Tanks I chose another solution, one that was effective on our sailboat. 1st I replaced the Filters, then I replaced them after the first couple of hours and then after a few hours. Each time I would look at the Filters to see the condition and soon was going at 8 hours or so. When we got back from the Creede Rally the Fuel was normal.
The reason that I took this approach was that the 92 Series Detroit returns so much fuel and so is constantly "polishing" the fuel by design being "Military".

Steve, thanks for sharing. I knew that a lot of fuel is returned to the tank, but never thought of the process as "polishing the fuel"....good to know. Hope all is well with you and Patricia. Enjoying the cooler temps up here in Northern Idaho!

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Messages In This Thread
Bad Fuel - by Fulltiming - 08-26-2013, 10:23 AM
RE: Bad Fuel - by Erniee - 08-26-2013, 03:56 PM
RE: Bad Fuel - by Chester Stone - 08-27-2013, 09:16 AM
RE: Bad Fuel - by prairieschooner - 09-03-2013, 07:51 AM