You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Cable Operated Dryer Vent Valve
Question 

Hi all,

I was walking thru a Newell on a dealers lot a while back and noticed what appeared to be a cable pull which would open and close a "valve" on the dryer vent behind the washer dryer.  I didn't give it much thought at the time, but thinking back on it, it seems like a very interesting item.

I'm guessing a lot of Newell's came with this remote valve?  Seems like a great idea to keep hot/cold air, and bugs out of the coach when you're not using the dryer.

Do you find them useful? 

Do you know who makes it or where I can buy one?

(I've attached a pic from said dealer)
(Sorry if I posted this in wrong place)

Thanks in advance,

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Douglas
'97 Foretravel U320

(01-18-2016, 01:21 PM)ScubaGuy Wrote:  Hi all,

I was walking thru a Newell on a dealers lot a while back and noticed what appeared to be a cable pull which would open and close a "valve" on the dryer vent behind the washer dryer.  I didn't give it much thought at the time, but thinking back on it, it seems like a very interesting item.

I'm guessing a lot of Newell's came with this remote valve?  Seems like a great idea to keep hot/cold air, and bugs out of the coach when you're not using the dryer.

Do you find them useful? 

Do you know who makes it or where I can buy one?

(I've attached a pic from said dealer)
(Sorry if I posted this in wrong place)

Thanks in advance,

Yes very useful and simple. You can purchase on eBay for 9$. Dorman 03787 Choke Cable, Steel, Natural, 8.00 ft. Length, Kit

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Douglas, It has always worked great for me.  Newell might be the only coach with this kind of vent.  I don't know that for a fact.  I does make a nice clean closure from the outside and is hardly noticeable.  Other than maybe Newell themselves I do not know where someone might buy one and would imagine it would be a fairly expensive new installation.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

[attachment=3630]  Hi Douglas ,

Let me see if I can sufficiently confuse you :-)

You actually posted a picture of the operator, not the "valve"

Let me say as I have been trying to say, not all Newells  are the same, but this is how mine works. 

That operator is very similar to an old choke cable .   It operates a flap on the exterior of the coach that opens and closes the passage to the dryer vent .

I think it's a neat feature as the flap is painted to match the coach and not plastic and subject to some damage as so many dryer vents are .

Here is a picture of mine in the open position.   If you look closely you should see the reflection of a palm tree .   Life can be very good In a Newell or Foretravel  for that matter if you have it parked in the right place .

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Thank for the response Ron that's definitely half of what I'm looking for.  That's the pull cable half.  I would also need the "valve" half that shuts off the dryer vent.  Any ideas on that part?  I'm unclear if this is part of the vent thru the side of the coach or if it's something inline inside the coach.

QCJ, I certainly haven't ever noticed this on any other coach I've looked at.   Let's hope it's not too expensive. Smile

Douglas
'97 Foretravel U320

Russ,

I don't think your photo attached, could you try again?  I think it might help me make more sense of this thing I keep wanting to call a valve.  Is it actually the "vent" where it leads thru the side of the coach?

If so, that's very interesting...and probably makes this much more likely be able to be added to my coach.

If you would, could you please try to re-post the picture? 

Thanks!

Douglas
'97 Foretravel U320

Russ,

I can see the attachment now, very sleek looking. Thanks!

Douglas
'97 Foretravel U320

To convert a standard outdoor RV vent to a Newell type vent would require some custom work. Remember that a Newell has aluminum side panels rather than fiberglass so the vent structure would have to be different. I can attempt to take a photo looking up inside the vent at the choke cable connector if you would like.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(01-18-2016, 06:17 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  To convert a standard outdoor RV vent to a Newell type vent would require some custom work.  Remember that a Newell has aluminum side panels rather than fiberglass so the vent structure would have to be different.  I can attempt to take a photo looking up inside the vent at the choke cable connector if you would like.

Thank you for offering to do that!  That would be very helpful to have a picture of that angle, and how it all works together.  I'm going to talk to Xtreme Paint & Graphics and see if they think this is possible on a Foretravel, and your picture would be great to have to show them. 

On a side note, we've met before.  Back in 2010, my better half and I spent the afternoon and evening with you and your wife in your coach, while you were camped out in Austin.  We were very seriously considering a Newell, and lived in Houston at the time, when you invited us up for a visit. You were the first people to ever invite us into their coach and show us what it is like to fulltime.

Douglas
'97 Foretravel U320

Douglas, I live in Nacogdoches and know James at Extreme Paint & Graphics.  He has worked on enough Newells to know what the vent looks like.  Also Motor Homes of Texas has plenty of Newells with this type of vent for anyone to see or take a photo of. I owned a Fortravel before I bought the Newell I have now and if I remember correctly it had a flapper that closed after the dryer shut down closing the vent.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot