You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air brake system

The price they quoted me was with the breakaway kit, and the tow is a Jeep Wrangler and he didn't have any problem with the installation on the Jeep. So I will more than likely have the system installed.  The Blue Ox pull has breakaway cables and wondering if I really need their breakaway.  What does it do that the Blue Ox cables don't do?  Does it stop the toad if it should breakaway?

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I also have the SMI Air Force One and have used it for over a year. The advantage is that while it uses the coach air, it is independent of the coach brake system air. Plus it is easy to hookup with just an air line and a break-away cable.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

i have the M&G breakaway kit. it has a small tank and if you breakaway, it has enough air to stop the tow vehicle.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(01-28-2016, 09:25 AM)encantotom Wrote:  i have the M&G breakaway kit.  it has a small tank and if you breakaway, it has enough air to stop the tow vehicle.

tom

Tom, that being the case, the breakaway kit might just be worth $195.00.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

It's worth 200 bucks from a litigation perspective

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I have the Roadmaster Brakemaster which connects into the coach air brake system. Through two coaches and two cars it has given me no problems. I did have to design and install a simple pair of rollers for the lower end of the cylinder so that end was loose rather than secured to a post in the floor in order that it would retract/collapse enough to turn the brake lights off under normal driving conditions.

I'm a happy camper.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

I had M&G Engineering install their air brake system with breakaway kit yesterday on my Newell and Jeep Wrangler.  A very professional group.  As I said earlier my Brake Buddy was on its last leg and with this new system it will make connecting my Jeep faster and much more pleasurable.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I have installed M&G on my 85 Cherokee Diesel, 05 Jeep Liberty Diesel, 06 GMC Duramax Quad Cab, 07 Jeep Commander, 08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel.  The two, last mentioned were complex installs.  Like moving fuse box and altering shock tower.  Great setup and good people to deal with.  I am looking to tap into my air system on my 88 single screw Newell.  (#174)  Any suggestions.  I removed what looks like a 1/2 inch NPT Plug from the control box above the drive axle and air dashed out, so I assumed it to be wrong hole to play on.  Someone suggested a tee in the service brake line.  Any idea on what tee this would be and where one might get one.   Thanks    Pete    Florida

Pete,

I don't quite understand your comment "I am not looking to tap into my air system on my 88 single screw Newell." What do you mean by that? You have to tap into the air brake system to make the M&G work.

If you look at the air brake can on the tag you will find either a 3/8 or 1/2 tubing leading to it. You can cut that tubing and install a tee. The tee will only have air when the brakes are applied. You can find a DOT approved tee here. You may have to have one more fitting to adapt it down to the M&G line which I think is 1/4.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#compression-d.o...s/=14jhif2

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

You are right Richard. I don't know how the "Not" got in there. I do not have a tag axle and the brake hose on the drive axle is much larger than 3/8. Looks like 3/4" and I do not see any Tee that is DOT approved for this application. Thanks pk