You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Considering purchase of Coach 1274

Good morning everyone,
My name is Ted Provenza, my wife's name is Margaretann. We live in Finksburg, MD and would like to thank you for allowing us to join your group. 
In 2000, we ordered a new coach from Winnebago, a 2001 Itasca Horizon 36CD and took delivery in April of 2001. We had just adopted our second daughter at her age of 4 from Almaty, Kazakhstan and wanted to provide an environment for us to bond as a family. Our eldest daughter was 8 at the time and had been praying for a "baby" sister for several years; "God bless for a baby sister with a tan body, dark hair, named Emily,...and I hope her birthday is October 19th, and oh, I hope she is 4 years old."  Yes folks, no kidding, she wanted her new sister to have the same birthday. So after 6 months of paperwork and flying to Almaty we returned in November of 2000 just in time for Thanksgiving. Madina knew no English and we only knew only 7 words of Kazhak/Russian: Boyna-hurt, gravashivilah-beautiful, goosnah-good taste, nay goosnah-not a good taste, Spaceebah-thank you, kahshi-say, wadishkey-water...pardon the phonetic spellings.
So on a cold rainy day in February of 2001 we went to an RV show and watched our 2 daughters interact inside a pop up camper having a tea party with the plastic tea cups, plates, grapes and other stuff dealers use to stage their campers. Margaretann and I just marveled at how they had learned to communicate and thought, "Hey, this would be a great way for the girls to bond and see the USA.  Danielle finally got to be the big sister she had dreamed of being for over 2 years. We put 38,000 miles on "Myelles", the name we gave to our new RV. Elles is French for girls and I was the only male, yes, even our Bichon was a girl ergo, "My Girls". We only had one minor issue the entire time. The owner of the dealership, Charlie's Campers, was a friend and had only sold 2 of these Diesel Pushers in his entire time of being in business, however he made himself available to us 24/7.
In 2007, we had moved since we had outgrown our previous home and our Estate Planning Practice was growing by leaps and bounds which left us with little time to travel, in addition, the girls had gotten to the point of not wanting to go "camping" anymore. So we sold Myelles and have been without an RV since that time. Needless to say, a lot has changed since then. Not only the technology available such as GPS, heated floors and quieter environment, but our daughters have both moved out and are on their own. They both have Reactive Attachment Disorders, RAD, which we were never told about during the adoption process. Sadly, they want nothing more to do with either my wife nor myself. Tough pill to swallow, needless to say we are heart broken. I am fighting tears as I write. 
So here we are looking for something for us to do and after much thought and discussion, decided to buy an RV. Well, as you know, there are RV's and then there are Coaches. Wow! The amenities are wonderful. No more malfunctioning yet "state of the art" GPS units that must sit on the front dash, constant resetting of circuit breakers due to the girls ironing plastic tubes to melt the plastic beads to make coasters, microwaving cookie dough while running the A/C; banging my head on the edge of the slide out in the dark while "hooking up", having our jacks sink into the ground and getting stuck in the pouring down rain, doors rattling while driving down the open road, and the list could go on. 
After 2 months of searching, we found 2 units, a 2009 Newell-Coach 1274, and a 2014 Tiffin 45LP. Yes, two completely dichotomous sides of the  spectrum. Low and behold, both units are in Dallas/Ft Worth, TX at ONE dealership, however we live in Finksburg, MD. Which brings me to ask if anyone is close by that could swing by and take a look at these units, kick the tires, and get back to us with the low down before we take a 4 day trip, by air, to take a look ourselves. Any input would be greatly appreciated. The dealer does not know who I am at this point as we have asked someone with many years experience in the RV industry to shop on our behalf. We almost got involved in a "straw purchase" through a dealer who refused to run the transaction through his dealership which was averted with counsel from our new found broker/friend.
Thank you for your time in reading this dissertation as well as any help or advice you can provide. 
Sincerely, 
Ted Provenza
My cell number is 443.340.8438, and my email address is [email protected].

Ted & Margaretann,
A big Guru welcome to the forum!!!!! Unfortunately I don't live close to Dallas or I would be happy to go look at the coach.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Ted,

Welcome. Wish I were close, I love to spend OPM (other people's money). Of course you're on a Newell forum. Almost all of us owned other brands before.

As you already know, there is NO comparison in the two units you are looking at. One drive and you will know. Enjoy the hunt.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

who is the dealer

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge

Without knowing anything about the two particular coaches you are looking at, the Newell is in a different league altogether, even if it is five years older than the Tiffin. Of course I'm biased, but given about any price point I'd personally buy a Newell of whatever year that got me to my price point. In fact with my first 2003 Newell that's what I did. I considered other brands that were five years newer or even brand new but in the end felt the 11 yr old Newell was the best choice and certainly the better built and riding coach. I now have a 2013 and I'm very often surprised at how many similarities between my 2003 and 2013.

Jason 
-----------------------------
Previous owner of 2013 #1472
Previous 2003 #665 triple slide
1 wife
2 kids
Lots of stuff

(03-02-2016, 04:55 PM)Erniee Wrote:  who is the dealer
Hi there, the dealer is Trawick Luxury Coaches in Dallas. Have you had any experience with them?

(03-02-2016, 12:44 PM)rheavn Wrote:  Ted & Margaretann,
A big Guru welcome to the forum!!!!!  Unfortunately I don't live close to Dallas or I would be happy to go look at the coach.
Thank you. We are looking forward to meeting everyone.

(03-02-2016, 07:13 PM)Junior Guru Wrote:  Without knowing anything about the two particular coaches you are looking at, the Newell is in a different league altogether, even if it is five years older than the Tiffin.  Of course I'm biased, but given about any price point I'd personally buy a Newell of whatever year that got me to my price point.  In fact with my first 2003 Newell that's what I did. I considered other brands that were five years newer or even brand new but in the end felt the 11 yr old Newell was the best choice and certainly the better built and riding coach.  I now have a 2013 and I'm very often surprised at how many similarities between my 2003 and 2013.

I believe we are of the same mindset. Our friend in CA suggested this brand and coach over ANY new brand. We are taking a leap of faith and appreciate your vote of confidence and are looking forward to meeting and making new friends. See you on the open road soon.
Ted

(03-02-2016, 01:53 PM)Richard Wrote:  Ted,

Welcome. Wish I were close, I love to spend OPM (other people's money). Of course you're on a Newell forum. Almost all of us owned other brands before.

As you already know, there is NO comparison in the two units you are looking at. One drive and you will know. Enjoy the hunt.
Hi Richard, I believe the "hunt" may be over as of today, 03.02.16. If you can meet us in Dallas 03.31.16 - 04.02.16, maybe we can get a bottle of wine and celebrate. Thoughts??

(03-02-2016, 07:13 PM)Junior Guru Wrote:  Without knowing anything about the two particular coaches you are looking at, the Newell is in a different league altogether, even if it is five years older than the Tiffin.  Of course I'm biased, but given about any price point I'd personally buy a Newell of whatever year that got me to my price point.  In fact with my first 2003 Newell that's what I did. I considered other brands that were five years newer or even brand new but in the end felt the 11 yr old Newell was the best choice and certainly the better built and riding coach.  I now have a 2013 and I'm very often surprised at how many similarities between my 2003 and 2013.
The engineering seems to be unsurpassed. We are taking a big leap of faith, however, comments such as your's are helping to build confidence.
Thank you.

Ted, sorry but we are in Florida during that time.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Good morning Richard and Rhonda, thank you for reaching out to me. There is a fellow Guru who knows of a RV mechanic close to Trawick in Dallas, I am waiting for his contact info. Sounds like you both are enjoying the good life. Congratulations! Margaretann and I are looking forward to meeting you and the others at your next "rally". Enjoy your day, Ted