You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Getting coach home - the first trip saga

So, I flew out to Phoenix this week to pick up 540 and drive her home to Tennessee. Had Leo swap coolant and replace tag and drive bags as preventative maintenance, did some other coach related errands and then headed to Camp McCloud who truly know the meaning of hospitality.

Made it to Gallup uneventfully and had a nice day getting comfortable driving.

And then today.

I should have known to stay put when I woke up to no water pressure. No sign of life from the headhunter, it seemd to have committed seppuku in the middle of the night. No vital signs. But I figured I had an aux pump so I'd worry about it later.

Four miles West of Cline's Corner and the klaxon starts sounding from the Silverleaf. Water temp is 218. Immediately pull onto the shoulder and shutdown, figuring maybe somehow the draincock wasn't closed all the way from the coolant swap. Nope - CRS sight glass has it right in the middle. Look over to the hydraulic fan and I am sutprised to see that the fan blade and the hydraulic motor spindle have decided to part ways. I can't even see a keyway on the shaft nor feel one on the far side. The hole in the blade looks like the keyway has been ground through. These are definitely the shiniest parts in the bay right now. Pics might be sideways, couldn't prerotate them from my phone.

Coachnet wants to tow it and Newell says it probably isn't a roadside job but I really don't want to tow.

Luckily Tom and Richard gave been speaking and recommend letting it cool a bit and then seeing how far I can get before the temp gets critical again. Ah, memories of childhood and a 14 hour stop and go drive to go 120 miles in an overheating 1984 Thunderbird. But this time I have AC, a couch and a fridge!

Luckily I make it 20 miles before getting to 218/220 again. Waited for 180 again and then made another 20 miles.

Hopefully one more leg will get me the last 22 miles to Santa Ross where theres a 24 hour shop and a few campgrounds.

More to come.... But probably slowly....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Paul
Coach #540
2000 Double Slide, Bath and a half, Average sized fan for its age
Fulltiming for a while around CO

That Phoenix to Knoxville run can be truly agonizing, but don't ask me how I know.

You have scared me yet again about what can happen on the road. I really feel your pain and hope you can get to a safe place without a tow. I share your fear of that too! I probably would not have thought of taking it in little hops. Hope that works out. There have been successful tows and then there have been disasters. Your radiator must not have been damaged by the flying fan - I guess you can be thankful for that!
Please keep us in the loop as what goes around comes around!
Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Yes, there's been nothing leaking. And 220 degrees should be a pretty good pressute test if there were any holes. I haven't been able to get a clear enough view yet to see if it flattened any fins. But I have my fingers crossed. Between the spindle and the shroud there's not enough room to pull the blade out.

Paul
Coach #540

pauls coach is beautiful and the fan failure is a fluke for sure. too bad it happened on his maiden voyage and when he is by himself and with no tow car.

he is very good at figuring things out and will be a great addition to the guru gang.

darlene and i enjoyed having him stay with us and look forward to him and his wife coming back

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

When you get to Oklahoma Arkansas area I can provide some assistance too

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

(07-22-2017, 04:30 PM)Yachts Wrote:  When you get to Oklahoma Arkansas area I can provide some assistance too2
Where are you reading the water temp from? Are you getting warning lights? Running at night in the cool might help. Are you losing any fluid when it get to 220? Warning light should come along with shutting down if waster temp get too hight. Since the fan shear off with know apparent damage to Rad and no leak you might be able to go a good distance. My dash gauges show much hotter than my Silver leaf. Put a electric window fan in front of the radiator. These are just some thoughts. Wish you the best.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Temp is from silver leaf. Yellow engine light comes on at 218 and goes off at 217. No fluid loss. I've been shutting it doesn before DDEC has to do so.

Just got to Santa Rosa. The truck shop here thinks they can do it but definitely needs a new fan blade and key. The keyway is ground right out on the blade side. I do now see some keyway on the shaft, its partially glazed over with smeared aluminum. The shaft seems likenits probably ok and there doesn't seem to be a bolt broken off inside. Just need to figure out if I can track down this blade somewhere. Newell said they have them in stock but of course can't ship one out until Monday. I was hoping not to be stranded in Santa Rosa for two days but I might not have a choice. I guess it would give me time to look at that headhunter.

I had been thinking about the electric fan idea earlier, but the hydraulic fan sucks air in doesn't in? Unless I found something thin enough to put in the ouside radiator compartment, I think I'd be either blowing hot air back in to the radiator or getting very little action from the fan - at least little action where it is needed.

My dash shows about 5 degrees cooler than the computer. And pf course when the Silverleaf says 218, the yellow engine light comes on rhe Pro Driver tells me its 218 as well.

If I can figure out the blade part number I'm wondering if I could find one in Alberquerque tomorrow or if Sunday is just a straight "No!".

Paul
Coach #540

(07-22-2017, 05:14 PM)pestes Wrote:  Temp is from silver leaf. Yellow engine light comes on at 218 and goes off at 217. No fluid loss. I've been shutting it doesn before DDEC has to do so.

Just got to Santa Rosa. The truck shop here thinks they can do it but definitely needs a new fan blade and key. The keyway is ground right out on the blade side. I do now see some keyway on the shaft, its partially glazed over with smeared aluminum. The shaft seems likenits probably ok and there doesn't seem to be a bolt broken off inside. Just need to figure out if I can track down this blade somewhere. Newell said they have them in stock but of course can't ship one out until Monday. I was hoping not to be stranded in Santa Rosa for two days but I might not have a choice. I guess it would give me time to look at that headhunter.

I had been thinking about the electric fan idea earlier, but the hydraulic fan sucks air in doesn't in? Unless I found something thin enough to put in the ouside radiator compartment, I think I'd be either blowing hot air back in to the radiator or getting very little action from the fan - at least little action where it is needed.

My dash shows about 5 degrees cooler than the computer. And pf course when the Silverleaf says 218, the yellow engine light comes on rhe Pro Driver tells me its 218 as well.

If I can figure out the blade part number I'm wondering if I could find one in Alberquerque tomorrow or if Sunday is just a straight "No!".

I think the fan is held on the taper shaft by 1 bolts. The key is on the shaft. The drive unit AC 1685 (not sure last two digits).

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Be sure to check blades. They all look good in pic. When I had my engine rebuilt they left original fan in which had some chips. A hose got caught in it and because of weak spots blades came apart & went thru radiator. If you have damaged blades, I would recommend getting new fan as part of your repair.

I have used a fan that is a look alike for the fans Newell uses.  Anywhere form 30Hp to 1000HP have been my principal applications and no issues in the dozens purchased over the years.

Multi-wing America, Inc    the website:  http://www.multi-wing.com/

They may want engineering data if you call them.  Things like, diameter, hub size, number of blades, type of blades, air flow in cfm, direction of rotation, rpm,  & material.

Hope this helps somebody.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567