You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Ignition Switch 1979 Newell
Star 

Our "new" Newell will not start using the ignition switch on the dashboard.  It starts with no problem with the starting switch on the rear of the bus.  We have checked the neutral safety switch, however this has not solved the problem.  We are thinking it may be the override switch or??  Any clues out there?

I recently ran across this problem. I found an intermittent relay on the panel behind panel by the passenger seat. The relay takes the key voltage and then energizes the dash and also the starter circuit. If you turn the key and get nothing lighting up on the dash, I would look for a bad relay (provided you dont have dead battery)

I dont have the labels at my fingertips but you may be able to figure out by looking at the back of the panel.

I am not sure your coach is the same as mine, but on my vintage, the panel is fairly hidden right by the passengers feet.

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

(12-21-2017, 06:45 PM)bikestuff Wrote:  I recently ran across this problem.  I found an intermittent relay on the panel behind panel by the passenger seat.  The relay takes the key voltage and then energizes the dash and also the starter circuit.  If you turn the key and get nothing lighting up on the dash,  I would look for a bad relay (provided you dont have dead battery)

I dont have the labels at my fingertips but you may be able to figure out by looking at the back of the panel.  

I am not sure your coach is the same as mine, but on my vintage, the panel is fairly hidden right by the passengers feet.

bill

Wow, that was a quick response, thank you.  We are going to look into that first thing tomorrow and will let you know the outcome.

Vivi & Joe

Had the same issue with my 74. Low voltage to ignition one time and a bad ground on the switch another time.

1974 35' Newell Coach, Cat 1160 with Allison Auto 6 Speed... 69 Camaro 396 SS, 2010 Camaro SSRS Hennessey, 72 Buick Electra, Eastern Iowa.

(12-21-2017, 08:43 PM)Rjbjfire Wrote:  Had the same issue with my 74.  Low voltage to ignition one time and a bad ground on the switch another time.

Thank you for the quick reply!  We will check that tomorrowSmile

On the 77 coach I had there was a place at the top of the rear panel on the forward side of it where the signal from the front was attached to the switch for selecting front or rear starting. When I had the problem you are having it was that connection that had gotten corroded.

However, rather than following our individual suggestions I think you would be better off checking the voltage at the point I just suggested with the key in the start position. That splits the circuit in half, if there is voltage then the problem is downstream. If no voltage then the problem is upstream. BTW, I don't recall the 77 coach having a relay in the starting circuit, just straight electrical feeds, but it has been a few years and I don't have the coach to look at.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

My 88 with a Stone-Bennett shifter will not allow an engine start, from the ignition switch, if the transmission, is not in neutral.