You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Cleaning slide seals

We have tree sap on our slide seals (maple I think) - what can I use to clean it without harming the rubber materials?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Soap and water, no solvents of any kind. I might try Murphy's oil soap for sap.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I started thinking about it and there really is no way for ‘sap’ to get in with the seals holding air - if water can’t get in then tree sap would not. I cleaned the seals with a soap and water solution in a spray bottle then used a flat plastic tool with a polyester microfiber cleaning cloth. For the long sections under the slide out awning I put one of the cloths on a ‘swiffer’ mop head and sprayed the top of the slide with the soapy water spray bottle. Now the slide seals are nice and clean (as well as the slide itself).
I will wax/polish the slides tomorrow.
Then I will put some baby powder on the seals to keep them from sticking (and squeaking going down the road)...

(03-03-2018, 06:39 PM)Richard Wrote:  Soap and water, no solvents of any kind. I might try Murphy's oil soap for sap.

Thanks for the Murphys soap suggestion - if just normal soap does’t do the trick I’ll get some Murphys and try it...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Well I almost had to clean my slide seals recently, but I happened to notice the frogs under my slide toppers and against the seals while cleaning before I put in my slides. I had to make a contraption out of a swifter to push the frogs off the end of the slide.

Then, also to my surprise, I found a frog in the crack between my slide out and the skin on the main body at the bottom of the slide. I had to get a non-sharp object to push him out - crazy attach of the frogs. All this after having a robin and a wren continually flying into our windows every morning until I hung Visqueen from the awnings. Tough couple of weeks with the animals.

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model