You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Handicap accessible newell

Hi all, 
I own coach 272 and had previously put her up for sale and then backed out as i have had no luck finding my next coach and am spoiled to newell quality. I need a handicap accessible coach with at least two slides and 2003 or older as thats probably all we can afford. My wife Amy is in a wheelchair and plays tennis and is on the usa Paraolympic badminton team. I had parked beside a newell a few years ago next to the ideal coach and had wished i had gotten the owners name in case he ever wanted to sell. It had the uvl lift underneath the entry door that was the perfect set up for us as amy is very independent. We are going to be spending more time in the coach and really need a couple of slides so if anybody has a lead it would be greatly appreciatedSmile thanks for your time, 

Robert Austin

Robert Austin 2004 model 460 #707 46’ 10”

This coach at MOT doesn't have a lift but does have an oversize door. Might be worth giving Mel Cordray a call about it.
Possibly you could have one installed?
http://motorhomesoftexas.com/coachrv/new...45--C2053A

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Unfortunately, there have not been that many Newells equipped for handicapped owners. There have been several newer than 2003 but the only ones that I am aware of with slides prior to 2004 are:

#541, a 2000 single slide is handicapped equipped but I am not aware of it currently being on the market.
#477, a 2 slide 1998 was originally handicapped equipped but has been converted back with all the equipment removed.

FYI newer Newells that are handicap accessible include
#1430, 2011 4 slide (not currently on the market)
#725, 2005 4 slide (not currently on the market)
#706, 2004 quad slide (likely in United Kingdom, not currently on the market)
2003 quad slide with BraunAbility Wheelchair Life, accessible bathroom with overhead rail lift (I don't know the coach number) was listed a couple of years ago in Winamac, IN but haven't seen it listed recently.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(07-12-2018, 09:03 PM)folivier Wrote:  This coach at MOT doesn't have a lift but does have an oversize door.  Might be worth giving Mel Cordray a call about it.
Possibly you could have one installed?
http://motorhomesoftexas.com/coachrv/new...45--C2053A

Thanks so much, i have actually been considering this unit and may go take a look at it. We currently have a super arm j lift in current coach that could be used in this coach but Amy really wants a uvl type lift so she can carry in things vs the what we have now. Newell could install a lift like we want but based on our budget it would be cost prohibitive, 

Robert

(07-12-2018, 09:23 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Unfortunately, there have not been that many Newells equipped for handicapped owners. There have been several newer than 2003 but the only ones that I am aware of with slides prior to 2004 are:

#541, a 2000 single slide is handicapped equipped but I am not aware of it currently being on the market.
#477, a 2 slide 1998 was originally handicapped equipped but has been converted back with all the equipment removed.

FYI newer Newells that are handicap accessible include
#1430, 2011 4 slide (not currently on the market)
#725, 2005 4 slide (not currently on the market)
#706, 2004 quad slide (likely in United Kingdom, not currently on the market)

2003 quad slide with BraunAbility Wheelchair Life, accessible bathroom with overhead rail lift (I don't know the coach number) was listed a couple of years ago in Winamac, IN but haven't seen it listed recently.

Thanks Michael for all the information, i believe based on that it was probably #725 i was parked next to possibly. #477 i belive is one that i have been watching for awhile and may go to texas and take a look possibly. Robert 

Robert, the coach at MOT was owned by me for over 5 years and was a good coach.  The coaches first owner was handicapped and the second owner had an handicapped daughter.  Before he sold it he had the chair lift taken out and steps installed.  The inside is built for the handicapped, such as the bath room door is extra large and the controls are lower for the A/H, blowers, etc. and of course the out side door is extra large at about 42" wide.  It worked great for replacing the frig.  My wife and I are not handicapped, but we really enjoyed the coach.  It has been garage stored most of its life and I never had any major problem.  I installed new all new 8 batteries and the tires are up to date, except for the tags.  They are the only ones that should be replaced unless MOT has already done it.  I traded it to MOT and do not own the coach.  The reason and the only reason I traded it was to down size.  I am 80 years old and needed something smaller and more fitting to our way of life.  I now have a 36'.  If I can answer any questions please let me know and Mel at MOT knows the coach very well.  I bought this coach from him in 2012. The coach's # is 505.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

(07-15-2018, 11:34 AM)qcj Wrote:  Robert, the coach at MOT was owned by me for over 5 years and was a good coach.  The coaches first owner was handicapped and the second owner had an handicapped daughter.  Before he sold it he had the chair lift taken out and steps installed.  The inside is built for the handicapped, such as the bath room door is extra large and the controls are lower for the A/H, blowers, etc. and of course the out side door is extra large at about 42" wide.  It worked great for replacing the frig.  My wife and I are not handicapped, but we really enjoyed the coach.  It has been garage stored most of its life and I never had any major problem.  I installed new all new 8 batteries and the tires are up to date, except for the tags.  They are the only ones that should be replaced unless MOT has already done it.  I traded it to MOT and do not own the coach.  The reason and the only reason I traded it was to down size.  I am 80 years old and needed something smaller and more fitting to our way of life.  I now have a 36'.  If I can answer any questions please let me know and Mel at MOT knows the coach very well.  I bought this coach from him in 2012.  The coach's # is 505.

Thanks so much thats all good information to have. I may be calling Mel to possibly go and see. Amy my wife like you thinks she would rather have a shorter coach so we can fit in to more places. I would rather have the room lol! Hum not exactly sure how all this will go just yet but something is going to happen before to long. I would truly hate to give up my newell quality having to go to a smaller coach. What did you buy? Thanks againSmile

Robert, I live in Nacogdoches and I bought a 04 foretravel where they are built.  I don't know where you are but you need to come to MOT and look at their stock.  They are the place to purchase a used MH. I have bought 3 from them. Have a look at the Newells and others.  You will learn a lot just being here for a day or two.  You need to drive the Newell. You will like the way they drive.  Good luck in your hunt. This Newell, #505, could be put back into a handicap coach quite easily by Newell. They know the coach really well.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

I found three more that at least at some point in the past 10 years had a wheelchair lift:

#707, a 2004 also had a wheelchair lift when it was for sale back in 2009.
#686, a 2004 listed a wheelchair platform lift in December of 2015.
#576, a 2001 3 slide had a Braun Wheelchair Lift as of 2011

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com