You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Visiting Nacogdoches, TX

Brought the coach to Bernd at RB Vehicle Service 1719 E Main St, Nacogdoches, TX 75961.
He will be doing some engine work like adjusting the valves and looking at the cooling system.  Meanwhile we will be suffering at the newly refurbished Fredonia Hotel in Downtown.  They did a great job on the Hotel and it is perfect 60’s retro stying.  The restaurant is very nice and price very reasonably.  Since they have decent high-speed internet we will stay a few days while the coach is worked on.  While we are here we may stop by Foretravel to see some of the new coaches and get some re-decorating ideas.  So far it has been a nice trip.  Fixed the generator (had to disconnect the fire extinguisher), added the new ATS switch and re-painted the bay with POR-15.  Alternator will finally get fixed - the pulley is about 1/4” behind the other pulleys so Bernd and Co. will shim it up to make it fit correctly or get another pulley to fit.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

For what it's worth, we found Dolli's Diner to be a fun little place for lunch/snack (also serve breakfast anytime) in the heart of downtown.

Robert
2002 Prevost Liberty XLII, Series 60
IG: @thisisbobalou

Butcher Boy also has great hamburgers.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

We are at Dollis this morning and it is great - the blueberry pancakes are awesome

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

We were there several years ago and ate at a Catfish restaurant. Can't remember the name, but it was excellent!

Life is what you make it.

Adrian and Karen,
You might try Clear Springs, Smokehouse, and Anti Pastas. Clear Springs and Anti Pastas are in the same building. Smokehouse has bar-b-que (beef) and hamburgers. Their baked beans are very good. Sometimes I will go there and just get a bowl of baked beans.
Last winter we had Motorhomes of Texas do some remodeling in the salon and bedroom. We were very pleased with their workmanship and materials. If interested in further information send me a PM. Contact Keith or Trina at MOT.  

Reese
Newell Coach 1242

We ended up staying at the Fredonia Hotel (which was beautifully remodeled recently and has gorgeous rooms) while the coach was in the hospital with Bernd. The coach has made a full recovery and is ready to go to Huntsville, AL tomorrow morning. Bernd came through again adjusting the valves, fixing the alternator (eating belts - will see tomorrow but it looks very promising), cleaned the engine bay, replaced some hoses and the big thing, the thermostats. In all about 16 hours of labor and every bit of it was well needed and welcomed - we even had the guys wash the coach (and then it rained...). Even though I had to work the whole time this trip was very enjoyable and we love Nacogdoches, TX even more now. If you have never been to the home of Foretravel you owe it to yourself to visit - the town square is great and from the Fredonia you can walk all of it. Karen spent two days and did not make it to all the different stores! Of course she like to visit with the owners a lot...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

Left this morning (Saturday) and made it about 2 hours towards I20 and almost made it before the engine started really overheating and spewed a bunch of coolant out. Luckily I was watching the temps and I think the engine is OK but we are sitting on the side of the road now waiting for it to cool down enough to add more water - luckily the pure water tank is 1/2 full so we should have plenty to make it back - will just take our time and get there safely. The big thing now is finding somewhere to turn around! We will disconnect the Jeep so it is easier to 180... Bernd thinks the head gasket may be the trouble but we will see next week. So if anyone is going through Nacogdoches TX please come by and visit! We will be staying in the coach next week at Bernd’s until all is fixed. On the bright side I can order the engine fan speed switch, the switch for the A/C (1977 Chevy truck part) and work on my battery bays (maybe Bernd will let me borrow a welder to fix them correctly and make them like new again). It could be much worse - I could be out of vacation time! This is turning out to be an adventure but at least we are in a good place to have the work done. I miss my house but it will still be there next week...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 

Glad to see you still are maintaining your positive outlook! Always better if you are able to drive the coach rather than tow it.

(09-07-2018, 05:44 AM)rcantrell52 Wrote:  Adrian and Karen,
You might try Clear Springs, Smokehouse, and Anti Pastas. Clear Springs and Anti Pastas are in the same building. Smokehouse has bar-b-que (beef) and hamburgers. Their baked beans are very good. Sometimes I will go there and just get a bowl of baked beans.
Last winter we had Motorhomes of Texas do some remodeling in the salon and bedroom. We were very pleased with their workmanship and materials. If interested in further information send me a PM. Contact Keith or Trina at MOT.  

Reese
Newell Coach 1242

Sounds like there's lots of good places to eat!

Life is what you make it.