You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

adding generator auto-start

from looking at the wiring diagram for the unit you are talking about, it should work. only thing that will be a pain is getting the wires run for it. it needs to be hooked up to the hour meter so there will have to be wires run from the front to the batteries to the panel. i know how to do it, but that will be alot of work. i did run a spare network cable from the inverter control panel up over the driver to the inverter just to have it when i had things apart. i wonder if that is heavy enough....probably not.

ron, did you find one used? the ones i saw were 260 dollars

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

New ( This is a automatic generator starter for a standalone system. It is brand new. Bought it for my solar system from Wholesalesolar.com for 263.00. The box has been open but the unit was never hooked up. I just decided not to use a automatic starter.) Found on ebay have just bought so have not received yet. The one I installed on my 89 I think I located everything up close to the driver seat. I may have pick up feed from everything in that area. With the one I use on the 96 was installed at the mid control panel and I use the wires that were there to run to the Magnum inverter and the brain box located in laundry. These pictures are from the 96

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Ron, you mentioned that you were waiting on Directv for the Genie. A few months ago I had extensive conversations with Directv re getting the Genie for my coach. They told me that they insist on installing the Genie in a home, and they would not install a Genie in a motorhome, even though the motorhome had the correct antenna. If you are able to get one, please let us know.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Hi Forest
I just installed the Magnum ME-AGS-S Auto gen start in my Newell with the Freedom 458 invertor. The magnum is stand alone. I mounted the control box in the compartment above the driver seat because it was easy to access the wires needed. I only had to run one wire down to pick up the generator hour meter signal. (The hour meter is in the dash) Additionally there is a data cable that needs to be hooked to the control switch where ever you mount that. Since the thermistor is in the control switch housing I mounted it in the same cubby hole as one of the HVAC controls. The control switch should be mounted where it can get an accurate reading of interior temp if you want it to run the generator for climate control.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

forest and i were talking. the wiring is the only tough part. it could be mounted in the kitchen area because you can use the gen running light instead of the hour meter and the genny switch in the kitchen. that way you wouldnt have to get wiring all the way to the dash. from what i can tell, the hour meter on and gen on light are tied together

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I have a genie in my coach with one client and it works great! Getting ready to add 3 more clients

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Are the clients hard wired or wireless?

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Mine are hard wired. My new coach has in motion system. And Weingard hd traveler. Have 4 boxes.. Each system totally independent. Genie is on the traveler with one client.

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Forest,
Did you ever get the auto gen start working?

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

No I never installed one. With the LiFePO4 batteries I'm not sure if I need it.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337