You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

'04 4 slide coach #671 $379,000

The reason I'm really focused so much on weight is that coach #671 has the Valid flat floor system which, I'm told, adds a significant amount of weight to the coach.
Obviously, if I get to the point of buying the seller and I will get it weighed and figure out where to go from there.
A lot of weight savings might be found in not carrying full fuel and water load.
I really appreciate all the comments and hand-holding I'm getting, both publically and privately. You guys are great!

Tom Gauger-Dave Snyder
'01 Monaco Exec 515 Cummins ISM
'17 Chevy Colorado Toad
Shermans Dale, PA

hi tom,

my coach is a 2002 and has only two slides. here is a link to a discussion on axle weights and tire pressures on it.

http://newellgurus.com/Thread-axle-weigh...ht=weights

since my coach is so different than the one you are looking at i include the info for illustrative purposes on weight margins.

in include here also pictures of my vin plate, a CAT scale printout from weighing my coach (full of fuel, full of water, empty waste tank and with darlene and i in it with our dog and all our stuff in the bays)

also a picture of the specs for the 365 tires i have on the front which are not accounted for in the vin plate max axle weights.

the front axle with 315's on says 18000lbs. with the 365's running from 110psi the capacity goes up to 18,960 lbs and running 125psi goes up to 21,000 lbs. so from 960 to 3,000 lbs more (55, 960 lbs to 58,000 lbs)

so, at least on my coach, i have between 4,200lbs and 7,200 pounds margin if i load it right. i cant imagine having more than a thousand pounds or so more weight unless i was loading the bays a lot fuller and carrying more people.

so, again, i cant speak for a 2004 valid 4 slide, but just showing the margins on my own coach.

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

"I suspect this coach is very heavy as it has the Valid flat floor and four slides." "coach #671 has the Valid flat floor system which, I'm told, adds a significant amount of weight to the coach."

I would think that Valid slides are actually lighter than HWH slides. Both have the flat floor technology. I understand that four slides is heavier than one, two or three. I would think that the electric mechanism used by Valid is lighter than the hydraulic system used by HWH. Does any one know the answer to which set up is heavier.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I agree with Encantotom. I believe that these vintage Newells have plenty of margin. Notice that Tom breaks out the margins for 315 and 365 front tires. I believe this is far more important than the slide type. If you air up the tires properly, monitor to be sure the tires are not older than 3 years for 315 and 5 years for 365, you should not see a problem.

Does anyone know if the coach Tomgauger is looking at has been upgraded to 365s?

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill,
I don't disagree with you or Tom. But you can't compare a two slide coach to a four slide coach weight wise. I'm commenting on Tomgauger's implied statement that Valid slides w/flat floor technology are heavier than HWH slides with flat floor technology. I was hoping some one had already done a weight comparison. I'm guessing a four slide Valid slide coach when compared to a like HWH four slide coach would actually be lighter.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

i agree steve. i wasnt comparing them but just giving the info and margin on mine. hopefully there is similar margins o the 4 slide newer coaches. would be interesting to have a number of comparisons posted so it would be easy for someone to look up.

tom

I concur Tom, I have little information on actual weight compared to GVWR through the years.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I spoke with Tom Ellis at Newell service. He stated a Valid slide would be lighter due to the mechanisms needed are lighter than the HWH mechanisms. The Valid slides work with an electric motor and a rack & pinion system. HWH slides are hydraulic. He did not consider the weight saving to be "significant". though. Also when comparing coaches, you have to remember slides come in different sizes and therefore different weights. The flat floor mechanism for a Valid slide is lighter and simpler as the floor raises straight up. On the HWH the flat floor raises at an angle and then flattens out.

Even comparing same year coaches with the same number of slides can cause a misunderstanding. A two slide, rear closet coach of my year has a bigger rear slide than mine. On the other hand some floorplans weigh more. This discussion kind of reinforces the fact that no two Newells are the same and the best way to determine a coaches' weight is to weigh it.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

i posted a new thread asking for people to share their info on coach weights.

http://newellgurus.com/Thread-Request-fo...4#pid12504

tom

Man I'm not sure , a double slide vs a quad slide.. I think I rather have a little older quad than a newer double.. I'm waiting for someone to take a chance on the bordello coach

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701