You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

What is it…?

Mounted on the right wall, (within the wheel-well on the passengers side of my dual rear tires and next to the battery bay) is a tube like (approx. 20" x 5") devise. I have isolated a continuous grinding on /off noise coming from this devise… Any thoughts what this devise is used for and why the noise?
2000 Newell

Coach 554
Tom & Patti
Rancho Santa Fe, California

Ping tank for compressed air. The racket may be the check valve chattering.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard,
Any idea now to address the noise?
Thanks..
Tom

Coach 554
Tom & Patti
Rancho Santa Fe, California

Replace the check valve. Can you post a pic to make sure we are talking about the same thing

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Funny, the same thing just happened to me. (except different)

My check valve just went out on that same tank. Silent failure. In my case the check valve was stuck so no air could enter from the main air supply. This meant that my 12V compressor was working overtime. In addition, I did not have enough pressure to pull vacuum to **deflate** my seals on my rooms. Therefore, I could not move any of my rooms. The part is pretty cheap, but I don't have part numbers, etc. (Call Newell)

ps. On my coach, the controller lets the air out of the seal, waits a few seconds and then pulls a vacuum on the same seal. It does this by using the air in the aux tank to rush by a little hole pulling a vacuum as it goes by. (genius except the case where you don't have enough air to make that happen)

Here is the good news....I called Newell, and they talked me through how to change the set-point that tells the controller that enough vacuum has been applied to seals. This allowed the rooms to retract. Yay. It was dangerous to leave like this since I was basically saying ..."move room even if the seal is still inflated". I beat a track straight to Miami.

[The check valve connects the aux tank to the main air supply. The main air is supplied by the 120V compressor. The aux tank supplies the doors, the seals and the air toilet. The aux tank is also supplied air by the 12V compressor. So when the check valve got stuck, the 12V compressor was running like crazy]

Once I got there, they diagnosed the problem straight to the tank. We were all surprised when opening the petcock on the tank did not cause the main compressor to come on. (Sure giveaway of a bad check valve). Anyway, they had the correct check valve and replaced it while I was still on the pad at camp Newell. They then tested the rooms and all was well! Yay Newell.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

That sounds suspiciously like a pressure protection valve, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002HURU3Q

Is that like the check valve in this system or is it different?

06 M450LXi 3 slide