You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Entry Door Deadbolt Bites the Dust

Dean, I have a KoolOMatic over my Washer/Dryer. It would be a pain to remove and then I couldn't get though it due to the Splendide being just inches below it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will continue working on my dilemma in the morning.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Didn't David Copperfield walk thru the Great Wall in China?Idea
Surely a locksmith can open. What has happened is the tongue fell off the back of the cylinder. Ez fix. The stationary window part of the driver or passenger window can be removed in just a few minutes. I removed Ron Skeen's in about 5 minutes at Spearfish.

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Got up early this cool fall morning and drug out my folding ladder. I went window to window as I thought I remembered after the door handle broke earlier this year that I was going to leave a window unlocked so that didn't happen again. Although I had tried to push each window open from the ground, on the ladder I found the window I had left unlocked. The only thing worse than being stupid is doubting that you did something right!! I pushed the window open and crawled in. Glad it was a large window. I was able to easily open the deadbolt from the inside and remove the screws so I could remove it. You were right, the tongue, or as one parts photo I saw called it, the 'driver bar' had come out of the cylinder and looks like it may have sheared off the end that held it in the cylinder. I will be contacting some locksmiths later today to see if anyone can replace the part.

Again, thanks to all of you for your thoughts and suggestions.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Good news Michael......glad you remembered the open window!

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

That Was EZ!!!! Backup Plans are a Good Thing!

Jimmy

Now you can reset your "Guru" alarm !

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

Got the 'tailpiece' replaced at a locksmith about 8 minutes from my house. Cost $3.50. The lock is back on the coach.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

This happened to us this morning!!! The dead bolt lock would only turn from the 9:00 to 3:00 position and the bolt would not move. We called Newell and got a call from the emergency tech on call. DO NOT REMOVE or SMASH A WINDOW! Call Newell and ask what to do - you will need a ladder to get into a window but I am not going to say which or how to do so here. CALL NEWELL! We were able to get in and get the door unlocked with no problem - the wierd thing is that once we turned the lock once it did not have a problem again... I will be removing it on Monday and taking it in to a locksmith to have it cleaned and checked out and will replace if necessary. I would LOVE to have one of the locks that you can unlock with your finger print...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Can't help you with the fingerprint lock, but here is a keyless entry system that has worked well for me since 2011.  Not a single problem. Can be opened with the fob or manually with a key from the outside. Can be opened manually by turning a handle from the inside. The system I use is thoroughly explained in these two threads.

http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?ti...less+entry

http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?ti...less+entry

If you have any questions feel free to ask...............................................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I replaced my deadbolt with this setup after Steve posted it.
I've had zero problems with it.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458