You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Smoke coming from driver's seat area yikes!!!

While pulling in the slides this morning to get ready to depart Livingston, TX and unknown to me that there was smoke coming up from behind me, I mentioned to James "what's that smell?" He looked towards me, then got a frantic look on his face and started running towards me and quickly determined that it was coming from a battery charger he kept stored between the seat and window (against my repeated wishes). Evidently it made contact with something around the seat area and eventually would have caught fire. It was a little testy between us for a few moments - female wanting to know EXACTLY what caused the smoke NOW / male feeling pressured to provide accurate answers NOW. All is well now, James put the charger in the jeep. Mmmm, I hope it doesn't make a connection there. James assured me that it's okay. Mmmm, I have my doubts - a girl thing. The charger has bee stored between the driver seat and the window for several months with no issue. It seems like there should be some sort of safety measure. Okay - Florida bound - tonight dinner east of Lafayette, LA with friends. I hope to get in some driving time on the way to Florida. Carol

James and Carol Brooks,
formerly from Tulsa, OK
2008 Newell #1242
2012 Jeep Sahara
Sea Eagle Kayak

Glad it was ok.
If you take Hwy 90 east of Lafayette better take dramamine first. Pretty bumpy road.
Enjoy your trip.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

I presume the charger was plugged in, otherwise, something REALLY strange was happening. We sometimes forget that even small battery chargers for phones and 1.5 - 9 volt batteries are prone to accidents when left plugged in all the time. I am certainly guilty of that at home even though most of them warn you NOT to have them plugged in if they are not in use. I need to go out to the coach and see if I have any small adapters/chargers plugged in. Thanks for the heads up.

Glad you caught it before an damage (other than frayed nerves) occurred.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Unplugging phone chargers now. We don't know if battery booster/charger was plugged in or not.

James and Carol Brooks,
formerly from Tulsa, OK
2008 Newell #1242
2012 Jeep Sahara
Sea Eagle Kayak

Those little chargers draw current when plugged in even if they aren't charging anything. If you boondock those little current draws can add up. Unplugging things when not in use is a good habit to have.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40'
Build 4371