You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Battery tender for start batteries?

Thanks for filling in the remaining expectations, Richard, and for all your guidance!

2001 #579 ("Chester's Coach")

Where do you have the low battery cutoff set?

An easy and good baseline trial to run, is to fully charge the batteries, turn off the magnum inverter, reset the amp hour counter, and let the inverter run the house loads until you trip the LBCO. You will generate a usable capacity number for your bank. Sometime in the future if you are curious as to how the bank is withstanding the test of time, you can rerun the test under the same conditions and compare.

I wouldn’t fret if I didn’t get the nameplate capacity, since in all likelihood you will have the LBCO set before the batteries approach a dangerous discharge state, or the internal BMS disconnects them.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

My LBCO is presently at 11.7V We're about to go on the road to migrate north, so I'll look for an opportunity to let the bank run down.

2001 #579 ("Chester's Coach")

I had lots of battery issues with my 93 and 95 Foretravels. The 93 had a really ancient inverter/charger. The 95 was much better. Had solar on the roof of my 95 to keep batteries up (5-9 amps) and the solar controller failed, passing 16 volts to the batteries. Very unhappy batteries.
Used a Trik-L-Start (little brother to the future Amp L Start) and it died after two years (killed those 3 Optimas), installed a second one and it lasted years. Installed manual off switches to batteries, manual switches to the CO alarms and radio...

We are determined to get a 2005 to 2008 Newell this year - can I expect an echo charger? What inverter/charger is used for these years? Is it common that the starting bank is lead acid? At this point I plan to rent covered parking with power at least the first couple of years as we will be using it less ($300-400 monthly here in Orlando). I hate HOAs - with a 130 foot driveway at home, 50 amp service and a dump point I am allowed 2 days packing/unpacking time.
I may plan on a solar install to at least cover battery maintenance in case we decide to save money on storage. It's going to be fun figuring out where everything is all over again. Is the merge switch on the dash/left switch bank like Foretravels or elsewhere? Where is the merge contactor (generally). I'm glad I'm a Navy electrician - don't have to learn civilian code...
Oh, one final question - does the GFI in the bathroom kill half the AC like Foretravel - that was always fun. And is there a salesman switch by the door?

Dave Head & Megan Westbrook
2009 Newell 46' Custom #1261
former Foretravel guru, 93 U280, 95 U320C
Titusville FL  (The Great Outdoors)

Ok, no two Newells are alike. Repeat that mantra.

Merge switch is on the dash, usually on the right. Usually.

Merge contactor is in the electrical closet on the passenger side of the engine bay. Some are in the front of the closet accessed from the side panel, and some are in the rear of the closet, accessed from the engine hatch. You will know it when you see it, and it will be labeled. Don't get it confused with the starter relay, which looks exactly the same. The big difference is the merge is continuous duty, and the starter intermittent duty.

No two Newells are alike. I can't tell you how many inside receptacles are daisied to one GFCI. On my coach the exterior/basement receptacles are on their own GFCI circuit.

There is usually a switch by the door that will disable all interior 12 VDC lights. It DOES NOT disconnect the house batteries. Newell will supply mechanical disconnects for the house and chassis batteries. BE AWARE, I have seen Newells wired two different ways on the house side. One way, one switch disconnects all the house loads EXCEPT the inverter. Another way has two switches on the house side, one for most loads, and one dedicated to the inverter. The point being, do not assume the master house switch kills the inverter power. It could be a shocking surprise.

Wait a year on your purchase. Right now prices are uber premium. Lots of folks buying used Newells with little idea of what they are getting into. When the pandemic eases, the new owners get a feel for yearly maintenance, and attention spans go elsewhere, the market will be filled with the coach you are looking for. It may need some neglected maintenance, but it will be out there at a far better price.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Thanks! We know that prices are getting ready to drop as people go back to their 'old vacation spots' and the Pandemic ebbs (and flows). I actually expect it will start this fall. We aren't in a hurry. The one I'm currently looking at (an 05) has some interior 'exceptions' which makes me worry about maintenance concerns overall...

Dave Head & Megan Westbrook
2009 Newell 46' Custom #1261
former Foretravel guru, 93 U280, 95 U320C
Titusville FL  (The Great Outdoors)

Have BB Lithium batteries, Outback inverter and looking for some insight on how to set things up so that I have trickle charge on the chassis batteries so that they stay charged.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

Brad,

It would help to know what is adjustable on your Outback in terms of charge profile before something is recommended that you don’t have the ability to control.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

hi all,

i have a similar question on start battery tending. i have used the trik l charger and most recently the amp l charge trickle charger to keep the start batteries charged off of the house batteries. previously the coach had an echo charger on it. i liked the amp l charge much better.

my amp l charger has bit the dust. and.....that company is no longer in business. the owner died recently and evidently he was mostly a one man shop.

so....what are you guys using now if you were to put one in?

thanks

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I installed an AMP-L-Start. It was very easy to install. I mounted it in the right rear engine bay in the cabinet on the rear bulkhead. Access to house and engine batteries was right there. The link below is not necessarily where I bought it.

https://www.bestconverter.com/AMP-L-START_c_211.html

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile