You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Lithium battery install

Thanks for the comments.
I wanna do the A/C, too; but the OO's opted for TWO 15,000 BTU units. I don't mind trying to do this with a 13,500; but I doubt the 15 will let me. OTOH, after I get the system up and running, I might try it on a less-than-100/ medium humid day and see what happens. This, of course, is another reason to go ahead with the 2-700Ah battery packs.
I suspect the OE Norcold from 2008 is a fine unit insofar as absorptions go. However, it's not its quality that's making it a soon-to-be orphan. I just want the advantages of compressor cooling, not the least of which is ice cream in the afternoon in Arizona! The new Energy-efficient ones use so little electricity once the compressor's running, it's almost silly not to get one.
When and exactly where is the rally? Since I'm among the unwashed, the site wouldn't let me find out. If I come, and I hope to, I promise not to be seen much, never to raise my head, and always step aside when true members approach.
JC

Newell Guru Gathering, Table Rock Lake, Arkansas, June 23 - 28, 2014 at Ozarks RV Resort

You are certainly welcome to join us.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

It seems Balqon has the cells that I used for my install for $750 each. You would need 4 for a 12 volt system. Also looks like shipping might be free.
http://www.balqon.com/store-2/#!/~/categ...=priceDesc
Anybody interested? I also have a special price on my (limited) knowledge and expertise: FREE!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forest, knowing my coach and it's limited power consumption, do you think one 1,000 amp hour would do for me, or should I have two? Of course, I am limited to the space occupied currently by my two 8d's. Right now my two Interstate 8d's give me a combined 550 amp hours of which I can only use 50%. 1,000 amp hours would be quite an improvement. Also, do you have solar panels on your new coach now? If so, what is the charge rate with your set up (how long to get back to 100% from 70-80% discharge).

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Those batteries are 3.2 volts each so you need 4 to get 12.8 volts. Size is important since these are taller than lead acid batteries and need to be strapped together for 12 volts. My suggestion is to see which cells would fit then go from there. No solar on this coach. My inverter puts out about 100 amps so if I'm at 70% discharge it takes 7 hours.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Staying at Hearthside in Petoskey

Looks like we will all have to start "suckling up" to Forest as he is way ahead and exactly correct on Lithium battery use in our buses

Panterra is here with a Lithium converted Marathon they did with Senata Technologies and Johnson Controls

They did a 2 hour seminar on converting existing and doing new buses with Nickel based
Lithium batteries and the system the 3 companies have developed together

The guy who built the $200 Million dollar battery plant for Johnson controls (JR Johnson) went over all the issues we have all been concerned with in using Lithium and and the fail safe systems they have put in place to alleviate any fears regarding possible problems

They have been touring the country showing off the system to Bus and RV manufacturers, what it will do, how it installs, weight/space savings, etc.

Evidently Newell factory was very receptive to the system and awaiting the decision as to if they actually go into a full production mode

All parts/systems US made

Initial estimates to convert from existing batteries to Lithium with them doing it all and using your existing wiring but their batteries, inverters, and converters about $35K

Forest you are the Man!!

forest. i think you spent a little less than 35k didnt you?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Yes, about 1/10 that. But if I were building a new Newell then I guess $35K would be appropriate....

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Jeff if you have any info on their presentation I'd appreciate if you could either post it or send it to me.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Forest

No DVD or handout only verbal

Am having dinner with (JR) to nite who built Johnson Controls plant and will try and get you a one on one

$35K cost estimate was off the cuff response for retrofit not new bus as new bus cost will have cost of two inverters in price and they are dollar for dollar

They estimate battery cost at half industry standard or about $1K a KW hour

Alternator they use is the same one they use in 2 MW Wind turbines and is about the size of the one on my suburban

Engineer suggested you could put two of these systems in for 66k watts of power

They also are suggesting you could cut generator size in half

They ran this Marathon with 3 A/C running full blast, "5" refrigerators, and everything else going for 6 hours before they needed to recharge