You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Window felt runners for 1984

I bought an electric stapler for this project and I worked better than the manual, but I did think an air one would be better. I have never upholstered a seat except for an old Mustang. That was straightforward because the skins came premade. I would like to learn and start with our couch that folds into a bed. That looks less complicated than the recliners or the lounge chairs.

How did you learn to upholster or what suggestions do you have? I am not sure where to begin honestly. I imagine I could get it all apart but did you have yours sewn or did you sew your own as you did them?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Richard wrote "First step is buy a set of picks. Lowes has them, so does HF. Don't start without them. You will use the curved hook a LOT. "

Richard what do these look like, and in what department in Lowe's would I find them? If I just ask an employee for "picks" will he know what I am talking about?

I need to replace my Fin Seal, too, especially on my driver side window, where it is the worst, but also on several others.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

The picks will be with the screwdrivers. Four in set. One is sharp pointed. One has a right angle. One is curved. http://www.lowes.com/pd_239658-930-32462...&facetInfo=

On the upholstery. Buy the pneumatic. The staples are much smaller, thinner, and go into the wood completely.
I carefully disassembled the existing covers and used them as patterns for the new skins. Yes, I sewed them together myself. Start with some material that does not have a repeating pattern. It's harder if you have to match some feature in the cloth when upholstering, just like wallpapering.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard I just got the email below from the service guys at Newell. I have ordered the felt, but tell me what you think of his suggested steps and the caution on the windows. I dont have any choice in that my windows do not open right now so this needs to be done. I will call a window place to see if I can have new windows cut to this size and diameter if I do break them. Surely these break and are replaced so i am not sure what he means by "impossible".

Todd,
I want to caution you on this job. We will sell the material but we will not install it on any coach because it very likely you will break a window removing it from the coach. If you break a window the glass is impossible to get. Back in the day when those were built it was 1/8 in glass, but now 1/8 in glass is 3/16 in. When you assemble the glass the window will not slide.

Steps on removal
Remove screws from inside frame and any components to access screw removal.
Remove window from coach the sealer is very good sealer so use caution
Unscrew the frame tab that holds the window frame together (4) per window
Remove glass and felt and all the rubber (grommets) pieces on window
We made a piece of wood to push the felt back in the groove no glue needed, but it would not hurt
Reinstall the glass and back in the coach
I will not have a measurement on how much material you will need

Jim

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Thanks Richard.....a visual aide is always helpful for me!

Todd, so the windows don't open even a little? I wonder if completely removing the window from the opening by taking out all the screws that afix it to the opening, would make it easier to remove the glass from the frame? I've never tried this so I'm wondering.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

hi todd,

so, it sounds like the biggest issue is to get the windows to open so then you can change the window felt. in my case on my 90 the windows operated so then it was just a matter of figuring out how to remove the slider from the frame, then remove and replace the felt, then i also replaced the plastic guide strips, then put the slider back in.

i have removed and replaced all the windows except the driver and passenger front window in my 90. i did not break any of them getting them out and they were single pane windows.

but...it is not for the faint hearted. i wonder if the instructions were just for replacing the felt or to take a pane ot so you could loosen up the slider?

i would try to figure out how to do it with the window in place on the coach if at all possible.

can you take a bunch of pictures and post them? is there any slider window that works in the coach so you can experiment with that one?

maybe matt can comment on if 1/8" safety glass is still available, i am sure he or his son would know.

we are kinda operating in the dark without seeing pictures.

this is one thing i wouldnt rush into or you may regret it.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Guys I will take pics of this tonight and post them in my gallery. Better know what is going on before I do anything here is what I am hearing loud and clear.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

Hmmmm. I would not take out the windows but as a last resort.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I called the guys at Pennisula Windows today to describe what I think is more stuff I need to take this task on. As I looked at a couple of the windows from the outside it appears as though in addition to the felt runners there are some other rubber seals that run along side the window felt to keep everything snug. Did not get a chance too look too closely or take a pic yet (cuz she is still in the shop getting the oil pan and cruise replaced.

However if what I saw was correct I need more stuff because these things in one window are cracked and just pull right out. Now I started to try and explain this to the Pennisula guy (Jeff) and he started grilling me on wether his company name was on the window. He explained that Newell tells everyone that they have Penninsula and they in fact don't. So he was not about to engage in the conversation until I verified with a pic to him. This is essentially the push back I got one other time I tried to talk with them about the window felts. Not impressed with their customer,service to say the least. However to his credit when I looked I saw not seal or anything with the name Penninsula on it.

Richard do you understand what I am talking about by this description or should a just tke some pics?

Todd & Dawn Flickema
71 Karmann Ghia

in 1984 i would be surprised if they were using penninsula windows. could be though. all the pennisula windows i have seen, new and old have their name on them clearly.

i know they used a variety of windows. i believe if i remember right that there were hehr windows in my 90 before i replaced them with penninsula.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH