You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Turn signal

Sweet !!! I love the root cause investigation. Clarke, Tom's engineering school is working.

Sounds like the coil in the relay has gone south. You could ohm the trigger and ground pin to confirm.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I'm killing myself laughing right now! Just go buy a darn part!
Some people are just built differently and have to know why a 5 dollar part broke after 25 years and how they can either repair it or make it betterTongue
Just joking, I really love you guys!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

(08-19-2012, 03:45 AM)Richard Wrote:  Sweet !!! I love the root cause investigation. Clarke, Tom's engineering school is working.

Sounds like the coil in the relay has gone south. You could ohm the trigger and ground pin to confirm.

Haha! Yes, Richard, I am not as afraid to open things up now after spending 12 days with Tom and seeing the many "open" projects in his 2002. I'm not sure if I could keep that many projects straight in my head, but I can do one straight at a time. Yeah, that was my thought that the coil is shot. All the wiring appears to be connected and fine, but it doesn't work. I'm just going to take Forest's advice and go buy the new one....if I'm able to wire the new one up and it works I'll just replace the other two and get it over with.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

Tom...after looking at the internal guts of the old relay it appears to be a double throw, not single throw. So, shouldn't I get an SPDT 87a instead of an SPST 87a?

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

now you have me confused. just go by what you need to do with the relay.

and make sure whatever relay you get does what you need.

if you only had 4 spades of the relay with wires on them then you are only switching one leg.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Here is a picture of what I bought and a picture of what I had. I'm just not quite sure what wire from the old relay should go on the new. I have numbered the new relay, and the old relay based on what is actually written on each.

As I have said before #4 on the old relay had the flashing signal when the blinker was on, and had power like #5 and 2 had when no blinker was on. #5 was powered whether, or not the blinker was flashing. #2 was solid when blinker not on, but flashing when blinker on. #1 on the old relay had no power under any scenario so I'm thinking it is a ground?

Now, where does #4 attach on the new relay? #85, 87, 87a, 86, 30? I don't know how to convert this over.

I am attached a picture of the electrical diagram on the side of the new relay.

HELP!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

OK.....I guess I'm smarter than I thought I was.....I connected the battery source to 86, the ground to 85, the trigger to 87, and the out to blinker wire to 30. It works! Got the relay at O'Reilly Auto Parts for $17. Will order additional ones to replace the other two online for much less and then wire up the other two later, before they go out.

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

good work clarke. the hardest time with learning about relays is the first time. then it becomes much easier the next time. it is only confusing till you understand it.....ha

yea, autozone is really expensive. should be 1/3 that price. get a couple of spares too.

i know may people like using relays with diodes or resistors in them to stop the current "bounce" back to the switching source. however i have gotten burned using them so usually stay away from them. i will do a post about that another time.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom, I stopped at Napa first and they had no idea what I was talking about, and had nothing in stock......the gentleman was around 45. At O'Reilly's the young man (in his 20's) knew exactly what I was talking about and put his hands on the right relay first try. Now I know some new initials....SPST and SPDT......but now my brain is full.

2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB

This may help you understand the relay and then again it could make it foggier.

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch