You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Newell Gurus 2014 Rally Information June 23rd to 28th.

Larry posted earlier this year that Hedy was willing to teach and play Mgh Jongg. My gal Jan is interested in this as well as any card games including bridge. We are planning to stay at the park an extra week to take in the entertainment in Branson.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

For folks that like to pick their own Blueberries this farm is close and the berries will be ready for picking...... http://www.persimmonhill.com/catalog.php?cat_ref=26

Jimmy

Ok who is bringing atv's . I'll bring my 4 seat rzr and will be happy to let anyone ride with me. I'm also considering bringing the boat. So let me know who would be interested.

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Will be bring RZR and goldwing both. Don't know where to ride but willing to go anywhere. Will be going to Frisco CO for July & August and know plenty of places there.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

I'll have the Rzr with us and following Ron to Frisco for 2 weeks, then Aug. in Creede and Sept. in Pagosa Springs.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Ok if anyone is coming through fort smith on 40 before they head north on i49 old 540. We could make a Newell caravan for the last 100 miles

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

I'm going to be at Newell the week before rally. Doesn't look like more than 2 or 3 hours drive to Table Top.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Looks like maybe we need to go here for the next rally !!

Push to Allow All-Terrain Vehicles on Public Roads Hits Speed Bumps
Effort to Help Riders Access Backcountry Trails Triggers Safety and Environmental Concerns

Updated June 3, 2014 8:32 p.m. ET

Residents of Meeker, Colo., ride all-terrain vehicles through their neighborhood in April. Meeker has legalized the use of ATVs on its streets. Bear Guerra for the Wall Street Journal,

MEEKER, Colo.—When Katelin Cook wants to take a spin in the surrounding Rocky Mountains on her all-terrain vehicle, she just hops on the four-wheeler in her driveway and takes off—down a paved public road.

"What we'll do is wake up on a Saturday or Sunday morning and say, 'Let's run up and let the dogs swim around,'" Ms. Cook, 28 years old, says of the ATV jaunts she and her husband, Deloy, take to places like Howey Reservoir about 30 miles away, a journey that includes 15 miles on county roads.

The Cooks can do this because Rio Blanco County, like at least 11 other counties in Colorado and a growing number across the U.S., has legalized the use of off-road vehicles on some public roads. In recent years, ATVs have been approved on streets and roads in states including Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

The trend is particularly prevalent in the West, where many rural counties have opened up hundreds of miles of public roads as part of a push by ATV enthusiasts to access backcountry trails without having to tow the vehicles there. But the movement is triggering safety and environmental concerns.

Accidents on public roads accounted for 368, or 44.7%, of 822 ATV-related deaths in the U.S. in 2007, the latest year for which complete data are available, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. According to the institute's most recent study, ATV public-road fatalities fell to 305 in 2011 from a five-year high of 377 in 2008. There were 35 deaths on all roads in 1982, according to the institute, an industry nonprofit group.

"The evidence shows these are vehicles not designed to be driven on paved roads, which most public roads are," said Anne McCartt, senior vice president for research at the institute.

Manufacturers agree. The vehicles aren't safe on public roads, in part because of the increased risk of colliding with a car or truck, and because they don't meet U.S. highway safety standards, such as having rearview mirrors, according to the Specialty Vehicle Institute of America, an industry trade group. "One of our golden rules is not to ride on pavement," said Kathy Van Kleeck, a spokeswoman.

Supporters of legalized road access report few safety issues. "People ride motorcycles all the time, and they are more vulnerable," said Jerry Abboud, executive director of the Colorado Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition, a nonprofit users group. Mr. Abboud said many of the roads open to ATVs—like those in Rio Blanco County—contain paved and unpaved sections and have lower speed limits than a highway. In most of the counties, ATVs have to be equipped with headlights and taillights, and riders must have a driver's license.

"Regular use of great distance on paved roads—we don't favor that at all," he added.

Critics also worry that opening county roads to ATVs will make it easier for riders to reach untouched backcountry areas now off limits to motorized access. In lawsuits, environmental groups have presented evidence of ATV use damaging vegetation and historic structures.

Officials at the Bureau of Land Management say a road for ATVs was illegally constructed several years ago in Utah's Recapture Canyon, home to ancient pueblos and other artifacts. The agency closed the canyon to ATVs in 2007. In May, a group of ATV users rode into the canyon to protest the closure.

ATV enthusiast groups say claims of damage are exaggerated and they take care to protect the environment, such as by encouraging riders to stay on designated trails. "We are no greater impact on the environment than most other groups," Mr. Abboud said.

One impetus for legalizing ATVs on public roads is tourism. Rio Blanco County officials say that is why they passed a 2012 ordinance approving them. The county of about 7,000 residents in northwestern Colorado has been in an economic funk following a decline in its oil and gas sector.
[/b]
Push to Allow All-Terrain Vehicles on Public Roads Hits Speed Bumps
Effort to Help Riders Access Backcountry Trails Triggers Safety and Environmental Concerns

By
Jim Carlton
connect
Updated June 3, 2014 8:32 p.m. ET

Residents of Meeker, Colo., ride all-terrain vehicles through their neighborhood in April. Meeker has legalized the use of ATVs on its streets. Bear Guerra for the Wall Street Journal,

MEEKER, Colo.—When Katelin Cook wants to take a spin in the surrounding Rocky Mountains on her all-terrain vehicle, she just hops on the four-wheeler in her driveway and takes off—down a paved public road.

"What we'll do is wake up on a Saturday or Sunday morning and say, 'Let's run up and let the dogs swim around,'" Ms. Cook, 28 years old, says of the ATV jaunts she and her husband, Deloy, take to places like Howey Reservoir about 30 miles away, a journey that includes 15 miles on county roads.

The Cooks can do this because Rio Blanco County, like at least 11 other counties in Colorado and a growing number across the U.S., has legalized the use of off-road vehicles on some public roads. In recent years, ATVs have been approved on streets and roads in states including Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

The trend is particularly prevalent in the West, where many rural counties have opened up hundreds of miles of public roads as part of a push by ATV enthusiasts to access backcountry trails without having to tow the vehicles there. But the movement is triggering safety and environmental concerns.

Accidents on public roads accounted for 368, or 44.7%, of 822 ATV-related deaths in the U.S. in 2007, the latest year for which complete data are available, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. According to the institute's most recent study, ATV public-road fatalities fell to 305 in 2011 from a five-year high of 377 in 2008. There were 35 deaths on all roads in 1982, according to the institute, an industry nonprofit group.

"The evidence shows these are vehicles not designed to be driven on paved roads, which most public roads are," said Anne McCartt, senior vice president for research at the institute.

Manufacturers agree. The vehicles aren't safe on public roads, in part because of the increased risk of colliding with a car or truck, and because they don't meet U.S. highway safety standards, such as having rearview mirrors, according to the Specialty Vehicle Institute of America, an industry trade group. "One of our golden rules is not to ride on pavement," said Kathy Van Kleeck, a spokeswoman.

Supporters of legalized road access report few safety issues. "People ride motorcycles all the time, and they are more vulnerable," said Jerry Abboud, executive director of the Colorado Off-Highway Vehicle Coalition, a nonprofit users group. Mr. Abboud said many of the roads open to ATVs—like those in Rio Blanco County—contain paved and unpaved sections and have lower speed limits than a highway. In most of the counties, ATVs have to be equipped with headlights and taillights, and riders must have a driver's license.

"Regular use of great distance on paved roads—we don't favor that at all," he added.

Critics also worry that opening county roads to ATVs will make it easier for riders to reach untouched backcountry areas now off limits to motorized access. In lawsuits, environmental groups have presented evidence of ATV use damaging vegetation and historic structures.

Officials at the Bureau of Land Management say a road for ATVs was illegally constructed several years ago in Utah's Recapture Canyon, home to ancient pueblos and other artifacts. The agency closed the canyon to ATVs in 2007. In May, a group of ATV users rode into the canyon to protest the closure.

ATV enthusiast groups say claims of damage are exaggerated and they take care to protect the environment, such as by encouraging riders to stay on designated trails. "We are no greater impact on the environment than most other groups," Mr. Abboud said.

One impetus for legalizing ATVs on public roads is tourism. Rio Blanco County officials say that is why they passed a 2012 ordinance approving them. The county of about 7,000 residents in northwestern Colorado has been in an economic funk following a decline in its oil and gas sector.

Working with the U.S. Forest Service and the BLM, the county set up the Wagon Wheel Trail System, linking 125 miles of off-road trails with 125 miles of county roads accessible from Meeker, which legalized ATVs on its streets. Riders flocked in, including to a new event, the White River OHV Rendezvous, which drew about 100 people in August. "I'll bet we had half our rooms filled," said Michele Morgan, owner of Meeker's 22-room Elk Mountain Inn.

Uintah County in neighboring Utah legalized ATVs on some roads in 2012, as have some other counties in the state.

In Rio Blanco County, not everyone welcomes the new traffic. Dan Schwartz, owner of the Ripple Creek Lodge a few miles outside Meeker, said many of his guests are seeking solitude, which he said is being interrupted by the off-road vehicles. "There's plenty of places to use 'em already," said Mr. Schwartz, 39.

Uintah County in neighboring Utah legalized ATVs on some roads in 2012, as have some other counties in the state.

clear sight tube for coolant overflow tank

a guru contacted me about where to get parts for the Arize Technology overflow tank setup on the series 60 newells. (dunno of the newer ones use it or not).

arize is a small company in Tempe, AZ at a fellows house. i talked to him this morning and he remembered me from a few years ago when i went and got parts for me and whole tank setup for richard. said i was about the only guy to come to his house to get parts....ha

the sight tube is what gets brittle and breaks often.

i would be willing to go to his place and pick them up a few or more of you wanted new sight tubes.

his price is $40 for a new tube and cap. the tube is specially made and will fit the brackets you have. it is some special polycarbonate and requires some hand work to make.

i have not asked newell how much they are but i suspect they are much more to buy them.

let me know and i can pick up as many as folks want and will have them at the rally. be serious if you want one as i am not wanting to get stuck with a bunch of expensive sight tubes.

i would need to know in the next week. (like by next tuesday) as i will be down that way next wednesday (the 11th)

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

if you would rather deal with him on your own, his name is Mike

Arize Technologies
5837 South 36th Street Phoenix, AZ 85040
(602) 253-3664

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH