You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

maintain, troubleshooting

Steve,
You did such a good job in pointing out the locations of the zerk fittings on the Newell. I would like for you do the same thing on filters. John, when at Spearfish told us there was over 20 filters on the Newell and that is a lot more than motor homes most of us have owned ever had. Of course most of us know about fuel, oil, and air filters, but there are others we first Newell owners need to know more about. Thanking you in advance.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Newell Parts

Genset

Oil Filter Fram 3593A Filter Barn
Wix 51334 O'Reilly's

Fuel Filter Fleetguard FF 5147 Filter Barn
Wix 33390 O'Reilly's

Water Separator Luber Finer LFF 8061 Filter Barn
Fleetguard LS 1247 Filter Barn

Air Filter Fram CAK256 Filter Barn
Wix 42276 O'Reilly's

Fan Belt Gates 17380 O'Reilly's
Blower cog belt Gates 17425 O'Reilly's

Transmission
2 Filter Pack Fleetguard HF 28943 Filter Barn
Allison 29526898 Allison

Hydraulic
Filter Fleetguard HF 6710 Filter Barn
Donaldson P550388 Truck Pro

Engine
Oil Filter Fleetguard LF 3620 Filter Barn
DD 23518480 Detroit Diesel

Coolant Filter DD 23507189 Filter Barn
DD 23507189 Detroit Diesel
NAPA 4074 NAPA

Fuel Pro Filter DD 23514049 Detroit Diesel
Fleetguard FS1029W Filter Barn

Air Filter Fleetguard AH 8503 Filter Barn
Fram CA 7230 Filter Barn

AquaHot
Luber Finer LFF 8061 Filter Barn
Fleetguard LS 1247 Filter Barn

Belts
Alternator DD 23520032 Detroit Diesel
Gates 2/9500PB O'Reilly's GS Powerband Belt

Air Dryer
Desiccant Baldwin BA 5374 Filter Barn

Windshield Wipers
Refills Anco U24R O'Reilly's

Genset Blower belt
Dayton 2C975

110V Air Compressor
Jun-Air 600-115

Taillights
Truck-Lite 0708 dot istr 79 Amazon

These are the ones I have on a '99 with a Kohler genset.

Hope this helps...........................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Great, thank you Steve. I have one other question. How often do you change the hydraulic and coolant filter?

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Chapplell the answer i sit depends... On What your using as a coolant or mix...

Attached is a page from the Series Manual.. I'll post the whole thing under the manuals section..

.pdf DDC-SVC-MAN-0006.pdf Size: 14.74 KB  Downloads: 18

Jimmy

I suspect the the 20 that John referenced also included air conditioner filters and water filters. Water filters should be changed out at least every 6 months to year to prevent fungus from growing in them. Air conditioner filters will depend on hour many hours the HVAC fan is run.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Chappell,
My consideration is filters are cheap. Here is what my practice is:

Hydraulic filter--15,000 miles

Coolant filter--15,000 miles

Good point Michael. I didn't address the 20 number directly, because every coach may be different. My coach when I bought it had 6 water filters. Most don't. I have five a/c filters, basement airs may have less. I took John's statement as something to make an owner think about something that many times is neglected.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I realize that some of my questions are elementary. My Cat engine did not have a coolant filter and had ethylene glycol coolant and after 3 years I changed it to ELC. It was not a easy task flushing the system a number of times even with the thermostats removed. The Cat had two thermostats and recommended them to be replaced every three years (I don't know the recommended time for the Detroit). Steve you said filter change about 15,000 miles on both coolant and hydraulic. Do you change the filter without changing the coolant or hydraulic fluid? I would guess so. I have done a strip test on my coolant and it checked OK.

I realize John was talking about all filters. On top A/C are going to have more filters than those underneath, and some of us have more water filters than others. I only have one where I know others have several.
I guess my main concern was the coolant and hydraulic filters which I am not as familiar with. I have had my Newell a year now and it is coming time to start thinking about maintenance. Motor Homes of Texas serviced it completely before I bought it, so now it is my turn.
This Newell Forum has been a great asset for me to learn about these great machines. Thank You.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Chappell,
I only change the filters at the 15,000 mile interval. When I inquired Newell about changing the hydraulic fluid I was told it doesn't need changing unless it becomes contaminated. I do a coolant strip test at every 5,000 lube service. For me that is 3 times a year. I flush & replace the coolant every 4 years. I use Detroit SuperKool coolant. Detroit recommends replacing the thermostat every 240,000 miles.

No bad questions...........................

TIP: When you change the coolant filter shut off the valve on the incoming line. DO NOT FORGET TO REOPEN THE VALVE WHEN YOU ARE DONE!

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531