You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

The evolution of the Wanderlust - Next steps for fulltimers

The internet allows so many to easily share in the wanderlust lifestyle of others. Some here have blogs, many other fulltime RVers do too.

At some point the cherished fulltime RV lifestyle evolves into a new direction. Many, like some here, return to a sticks & bricks life, with part time use of their Newell. Some, like the Wynns, Our Odyssey and Technomadia, extend their exploration to the water, becoming boat people. 

I'm sure there are plenty that for health reasons exchange their RV for a retirement community. It is interesting how Escapees, in Livingston, TX, offers skilled care inside the RV, for those temporarily disabled. 

Being a planner, my mind wanders ahead questioning how long we will be fulltime Newell explorers. My estimate is a decade.

RSL,

One thing is for sure, if you wait long enough, it may not be even a day, much less 10 years.

All the best as you make your decisions.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

We've been full-time almost 6 years now with no thought of when it might end. I cannot imagine living in a space bigger than our 220 square footage.

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com

We have a dream to be full time Newell dwellers. My precious husband of 28 yrs and I have began our dreaming stage. We have a small plumbing business in Orange County in the dreaded state of California. Two houses, three grown children and two grandchildren and another on the way. I just turned 50 and my sweet hubby will turn 50 in January. We want cash out and go...... BUT you don't always get what you want but sometimes when you look real close you get what you need… I am laughing .... we are dreaming. I'm hoping to put a plan together to be on the road by 2021. We figure their is a lot to ship up and shape out. Ha ha That's 36 months, 156 weeks and oh my a lot to get done. I like to read advice from hose who have gone before and learn. So thanks for sharing a happy travels to us all‼️

Robert & Tammy Hopkins Angel
2002 Kountry Star Newmar
2007 Prius

In 2000, my wife and I sold our house, retired and hit the road to live in an RV. I thought we would be doing this for many years but my wife was not thinking so long term so we put many (too many) of our possessions in storage. We now have a brick and mortar house again (in Austin rather than Dallas) but we spent over 10 years living in various RV's (about half of that time in a Newell). We certainly could have given away or thrown away well over half of the things we stored and saved a lot of money during that time. When we got ready to move our belongings to Austin, we had a local charity meet us in Dallas at the storeroom and they filled their truck with items that we didn't want to pay to ship to Austin to be thrown away.

Although we did end up back in a house, neither of us would have traded the full timing experience we had, the new friends we met (many on this forum) and things we got to do and see across the U.S. during those years. So go for it. You may find their is no reason to wait 3 years.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael, your response is very much appreciate! Yes storage is a funny thing...I'm hoping through this letting go process we can get down to a very small amount of stuff. Thanks for the explanation of your experience about it! We wish we could just go in April but not enough money. Have to sell everything including our business and it's not ready....heck neither is the houses...haa haa....I'm glad you and your wife have your experiences and many more to come! Lord willing we will live out our dreams too...I'm praying and reading and praying through writing it's been helpful to be able to see its ok and possible to do it. Lord bless and keep leading. Thanks for your communication! It's helpful and insightful! Good day mate Haaa Haaa

Robert & Tammy Hopkins Angel
2002 Kountry Star Newmar
2007 Prius