You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

blowing start fuse

When activating the start switch on the generator it immediately blows the 'start fuse', it's the 15 amp slow blow. Engine never even turns over.

It's a 12kw Kohler w/the 4 cy Perkins, if anyone has a wiring diagram - or has had a similar issue that will get me started the correct direction.

marc

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

Marc, I have the 12.5 KW Kohler with the Yanmar diesel engine in my 1992. I don't know how similar the electrical control boxes are between your genset and mine. I do have a wiring diagram for mine if no one has a more compatible unit to assist you with. The instant blowing of the 15 amp fuse (mine uses a 10 amp fuse) would indicate a direct short or an extremely high load. I would start by following the wires coming out of the control box to insure that all connections are secure and that none of the wires are frayed. I presume the same thing happens from both the interior switch and the switch on the control box in the generator bay. The start switch on mine energizes the fuel pump and activates the starter solenoid. There are sensor switches on mine that keep the engine from running if the oil pressure is too low or the temperature is too high. If any of those wires are disconnected, the engine likely would not run but unless they were laying on a positive connection probably would not result in blowing the fuse.

Let me know if you would like me to upload my generator wiring diagram.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Didn't try the switch @ the drivers seat - if I can't find any thing in the control box I will.

marc & shari popejoy
western Oklahoma
1987 Newell #135

Wiring Diagram

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com