You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Series 60 oil?

When we first got ours, we ran Rotella 15w40. Had no trouble with it. Then discovered 40w was recommended. The oil change service I use got a drum of Mobil 1240 in for me. (We change 3-4 times a year depending on use. every 5k to 7.5K). Still using Rotella in the generator though. So far I like the performance of the 40w much better than the multi-grade.

When we first got ours, we ran Rotella 15w40. Had no trouble with it. Then discovered 40w was recommended. The oil change service I use got a drum of Mobil 1240 in for me. (We change 3-4 times a year depending on use. every 5k to 7.5K). Still using Rotella in the generator though. So far I like the performance of the 40w much better than the multi-grade. 8v92 here.

I have been using Amsoil synthetic products in place of most all petro products for the last 30 years with great results. I do change oil when the lab tells me to.

Bob Miller
Previous owner of #390

i think synthetics are great, but for the kind of usage we do for our coach, and that it takes close to 40 quarts, it doesnt seem like a good way to use precious funds.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Detroit manuals and local DD office confirm 30 or 40 straight w, no blends and no synthetics pre or post EGR for Series 60.

Larry, Hedy & Benny Brachfeld
2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S
MINI Clubman , John Cooper Works Rally Edition # 3 of 70
Monster 1000 Watt, Electric Skateboard
Yamaha Golf Cart painted Kawasaki Green
A Coach driveway with a shade structure and swimming pool 
A Pueblo Home on the Border

I'm a new guy so I have been reading the Detroit Series manuals, here are a couple of paragraphs from the manual.

"Monograde oils should not
be used in Series 60 engines, regardless of API service classification. Monograde oils gel at lower ambient temperatures, reducing lubricant flow, and do not provide adequate lubricity at higher engine operating temperatures resulting in severe engine damage."

"The oils must be API CJ-4 that have demonstrated field performance in Detroit Diesel engines. These oils must possess a High Temperature / High Shear (HT/HS) of 3.7 minimum. For further information, refer to publication Engine Requirements – Lubricating Oil, Fuel and Filters, 7SE270, available from authorized Detroit Diesel distributors."

"Synthetic Oils
Synthetic oils may be used in Detroit Diesel engines, provided they are API licensed and meet the performance and chemical requirements of non-synthetic oils outlined in this publication. Synthetic oils offer improved low-temperature flow properties and high-temperature oxidation resistance. However,
they are generally more costly than non-synthetic oils."

As long as the oil meets the API service rating you may use it without voiding the manufacturers warranty. In my humble opinion, as far as price, I can't think of a better place to spend a little more to ensure my engine is getting the best lubricant designed to protect the engine from wear. I do take regular oil samples and let the lab tell me how the oil is performing.....it may be my aircraft background that drives me to this technology because today's jet engines are operated this way.

Bob Miller
Previous owner of #390

I concur Bob. I too am afflicted with over 45 years an aviator. I write the Mech training books for the FAA now. Most of the wear in engines is during that time it takes to get the oil flowing. That's why you see in Some Diesel engines, the throttle is disengaged from the peddle until the oil is flowing. With a single grade oil preheat is more essential... What flows best.. Then you get into the other factors. Heat, carbon retention etc. oil sampling. Is a good thing!! It has saved my heinie more that I like to think about. Many coaches do as much setting as traveling or more. Cold dry starts is the death of engines. Moisture and dry bearings in the turbo, lifters, valve guides all get a bit more wear. This shows up in sampling. ... I could go on. But don't want to bore folks.

Jimmy

You Aviators are scary with your need for detail .. lolol ...

2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S

It's a disease, I'll admit! I've often thought of adding a pre-lube pump to bring up the oil pressure before turning the key. It's used in some I aircraft engines that set for periods of time. EZ to do & not that pricy. Maybe I'll throw one on the Provost after I retire in Dec.

Jimmy

You can "throw one" on mine in Arkansas if you find yourself bored .lololol

2003  Coach # 646
2 Slide, DD
MINI Cooper Clubman S

Immediately before the monograde warning in my manual, it states use any 15-40 as long as it meets the CF-4 classification. Since mine is a 96, it's probably identical to Bob's.

The earlier Detroits, 8V-92's and the like, do get the monograde recommendation, though.

06 M450LXi 3 slide