You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Shock Absorbers for 99

So I finally finished the install, and there are a couple of useful bits of info. First, none of the Koni shocks had any noticeable deterioration in resistance. They are a one way shock meaning compression takes very little force but rebound takes a lot. I don't have a shock measuring machine, my comments are based on the calibrated bicep method. The coach has around 175K miles. The mounting bushings were trashed on the rear shocks.

The most useful bit though is how to remove the front shocks. The upper bolt is somewhat hidden behind the upper swing arm. In order to access the bolt with an impact wrench, the frame must be blocked, the air dumped from the front suspension, and the wheel lifted with a jack. It can be done without a pit, but given the opportunity again, even I would throw money at having someone with a pit do this.

My boltheads were 1 5/16 (33MM) and 1 1/4 (32mm). You will need a box end wrench of both sizes in addition to sockets.

I haven't driven the coach to know if the new shocks all around will address the occasional porpoise I felt on certain freeways.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Very ambitious Richard.....probably didn't feel like riding after that workout?

Bob Miller
Previous owner of #390

I only have 120K on my 1996, but just getting back from a month on the road and nearly 3K miles, I feel like it needs new shocks.
I feel the road too much. How can I get a second or third opinion from a knowledgeable source? I'm in Florida, and the factory is just tooo far away. Thanks.

John, Sheri & Lily Kai Curwick
1996 Newell #406, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock, FJ Cruiser, Harley Fatboy. 35 CABO Express Tongue

Not sure what you mean by "I feel the road too much". As Richard points out, the ONLY thing those shocks do is reduce the vertical motion of the coach on rebound to reduce porpoising. If you hit a bump or dip in the road and the coach continues to bounce up and down the shocks may be worn. If that is not the case, it is doubtful that changing the shocks out will affect ride any.

A more detailed description of the issue you are trying to address might help us give a more thoughtful response.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

richard, did you notice any difference after changing all the shocks?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Hmmmmmmm, I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, much less four year old data. Seriously, I did not notice a dramatic difference. I replaced the shocks more from the mileage, and to zero baseline the coach.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

New question for February 2019:

Has anyone installed RoadKing Shocks and if so did you notice a difference in the ride and handling?

Thanks, JK

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.

Yes, night and day difference on my coach.  I first added the rear sway bar and noticed a BIG difference in the handling.  Then when I was up in Oregon I had the Road King shocks installed and again the handling improvement was significant.  Definitely in my case worth the money.  I had it done at Oregon Motorcoach for Newell wanted too much to install - $2000 over what I paid in Oregon Motorcoach.  That was three years ago.

Oscar & Janet Valent
Full timing
2004 Foretravel U320 3820 PBBS
2007 Newell Coach #815 - Great Coach Sold
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

Oscar, can you characterize the handling improvement? Reduction in side to side motion? Improvement in steering tracking? Smoother ride on rough roads?

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

The greatest improvement was in side lean going around corners. That was my biggest concern driving in the mountain areas and on secondary roads. My steering has always tracked well keeping me straight down the road and has never been a problem. On rough roads the ride is still about the same.

So the bottom line for us was greatly reducing the side lean going around corners which was driving my wife and I nuts and the Road Kings definitely helped reduce this problem. Before Road Kings if the speed was marked 45 mph I was having to go 35 mph so I was not feeling like we were going to tip over going around a corner. Now I can go the posted cornering speed without worrying.

Oscar & Janet Valent
Full timing
2004 Foretravel U320 3820 PBBS
2007 Newell Coach #815 - Great Coach Sold
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit