You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Prevost & Newell which makes you drool?

Hi Ron,

I think that's great advice... You can spend so much time getting it "all just right" you forget the main intention is "get yourself a right purdy Newell"!

Harry

In my unasked for opinion, given your wish list and this is your first RV, I would send my wish list to Newell. You are considering used coaches they will have and you CANNOT beat their warranty program on a used coach. Ask Yachts. I am not disparaging your mechanical or DIY skills, but your wish list and models you are willing to consider puts you in range of a factory warrantied coach. You definitely should make a trip to Miami (my am uh).

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I have had 2 Prevo's a 2002 that was preowned and a new 2010. Leaving the Prevo world was a hard decision as my beliefs were that they had the very best chassis period. I really did not want to up my bay space. I have about 2100 miles on the Newell now and offer the following.

The Newell drives like a car the Prevo drives like a bus.
The ride is the same.
There is more bay space in the Prevo.
There is more living space in the Newell. After spending 2 weeks in the Newell the living space is worth giving up the bay space for.
Prevo's have there chassis issues and are from from perfect and or trouble free.
The cost to maintain I believe will be about the same.
Newell support and 24 hr customer service is unbeatable.

Every coach is a compromise and points can be made as to why one is better then the other. They both have their better points and there short comings. Each converter does things a big different and have different beliefs on how mechanical things should be done and have reasons for their decisions. One thing I have come to appreciate with Newell is as custom as they build they keep there systems common so they can be supported 24 / 7. I have had to learn Newell's thinking behind their systems.

Doug and Melanie Matz
2015 45 Bunk Coach 1517
Toad Ford Flex

Foodsman, in spite of your comment that wisdom is something I am not known for, I do have a little knowledge regarding registration and domicile. Texas is a great place to establish domicile due to no income tax, especially using the facilities of Escapees, but they have a sales tax on a purchased RV, but not a "use" tax if the RV is transferred from another state. On the other hand, Wyoming has a "use" and sales tax, so not so good. Same for Nevada. Montana is great for registration using an LLC, but not for domicile since they have an income tax. I did not research Florida because I did not want to drive that far to obtain a drivers license. I have saved thousands of dollars by establishing a LLC in Montana for registration, domiciled in Texas with Escapees and no personal income tax, and a class B license cab be obtained anywhere in the state. I even probated my wife's will in Texas without ever going there. Before you decide on where to register your purchase and establish a domicile, I suggest your consult a CPA.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Hi guys,

When we post something we don’t always know the meaning someone will take away from it. Allow me to explain.

Over on RV.Net I started a thread called “A used Newell, what do you think?” To date it has 121 posts and 4,867 views and turned into a good thread with all kinds of information.

It’s from that thread I met Richard, Mr.Mark, Qcj and Clarkehock (all Newell owners) and other good folks as well.

Towards the end of the thread someone posted a message saying that a Newell was parked in a bay at some shop and it has been there for quite awhile awaiting chassis parts from Newell. The poster finished up by saying “be aware of the very slow chassis parts delivery”

Clarkehock responded to the post saying: “that is not my experience, nor the experience of the 300 plus Newell owners I am acquainted with.”

Clarkehock went on to say: “Newell, answer the phone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and shipment of parts is very fast. You are treated with the same respect whether you own a 1982 Newell as I do, or a 2002, or a 2012. I can still get some parts directly from Newell for my 1982 coach.”

I started this post saying “When we post something we don’t always know the meaning someone will take away from it” Here is what I took away...

• The knowledge of 300 plus Newell owners is not a subjective statement, Its a statement of FACT!
• Newell respects all owners, he has a 1982 and can still get parts from Newell...

It all finely jumped off the page at me, “Newell is everything everyone has said it is... A top quality manufacturer, customer oriented and a company of character!

Wow, how many times have you guys told me this and why did it take this post to solidify it in my mind? It made me realize I don’t necessarily need a 2004/2005 coach. I need a coach that has the floorplan and interior we want and you guys in my corner!

That was a hard thing for me to get in my brain but I get it now... Some just take a little longer than others!

Chester said: “Foodsman, in spite of your comment that wisdom is something I am not known for”. Now Chester thats just not right, when Richard told me that about you he had a twinkle in his eye, ok he’d been drinking, but I’m almost sure he was kidding...Wink Hey its just like Prevost's we've talked about, Richard got run under the bus...Blush

Chester I’ll talk with you a little more about domiciles a bit later if you don’t mind. We’ll just have to keep Richard out of the conversation. Tongue

Hey Doug, thanks for your post, some great information, thank you.

For all the good advice you guys have given me allow me to return the favor with good information of my own... Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative before bed.

You guys are the best ever,

Harry

Harry, Sounds like floor plan is your most critical issue. Once you have a coach, you can always get the interior redone at Newell like we have had done to ours. In 4 years we have had a substantial amount of interior customization done to our coach at Newell. Downside is it gets a bit pricey. Upside is we now have an "almost new" interior in a great chassis for a lot less than a newer model Newell would cost. And, soon an almost new 8V92 Hybrid power plant!

Hey CC, that sound great! What year is your Newell and are they able to get it done fairly quick? What exactly is a "Hybrid Power Plant"?

Wer have a 1992 coach #289. We go to factory about once a year. Usually about 3-4 days of work to get done. The major re-do last year was about a 3 week thing that we left coach there for. Got all new flooring including heated travertine tile in galley & lavy areas, new washer/dryer,all new blinds and drapes, new bedspread & head board as well as few other items. It was like walking into a brand new coach when we went to pick it up. On one visit we had new battery charger and smaller stuff like AC service & maintenance done. Next visit was new forced air heat system in back to replace the non-functional Primus system. We got a new custom made desk & dinette table at that time also. Conversion to 8V92 power plant was accomplished by getting a chrome "HYBRID" emblem from e-bay. We are having our 8V92 overhauled at this time though. Hence it will be "new" engine. One visit gave us a new speedometer. So we actually got to drive away from factory in a "0" mile unit. Old odometer did not get transferred to new unit.

That is great information, thank you! Its nice to know that you can go to the place that built your coach for renovation and general service. And you were obviously happy with the results and that is great news! Thanks for sharing, Harry

personally, i would just drop my coach off at richards to get it redone.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH