You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Water softener

(03-15-2014, 01:13 PM)Dmatz Wrote:  Newell recommended a device called Water King WK Electronic Water Softner which I have no idea if it will work it's it's just a gimmick. It seems to be produced by a reliable firm. Waterkingusa.com anyone have any experience with this? I can let you know in a year. Lol

I'm interested in your experience with the Water King...

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

My 1993 Newell has a Pure Water Enterprises softener factory installed. It was disconnected when I bought the coach. It looks like a good unit that has a timer installed to time the back flush. I also haven't figured out how to add salt for recharging. Apparently Pure Water Enterprises is out of business. Is anybody else familiar with this unit? I think ccjohnson described the softener in their 1992 and it sounds similar to mine.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

The way Tommy Key at Newell explained it to me, was that you don't ever add anything to it.  Just back flush  every couple of months or so. Seems to work pretty good so far.  Only issue is that the timed valve leaks some.  But I just cap the back-flush discharge port when not back-flushing.  Usually just do a 20-30 min back flush when I see some spots start to develop on shower door.   Hand written directions on wet bay say 10 mins.  One of these days when I feel ambitious I will check total hardness before and after back-flushing just to see if it is actually working.  For now, just thinking it works is ok.  I know Tommy said that they are not available anywhere anymore.  If yours is functional Hoosier, I might be interested in getting it for a spare if you don't want to keep it.

I took the lid off mine tonight. It contains a black material that is the texture of ground coffee. I'm thinking it is a charcoal filter. I plan to talk to this guy before I decide how to proceed.

https://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/index.htm