You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Hitch break

Marc

The trailer toad has a mechanism which has to be released before you back up or you put a tremendous side load on the hitch. Just based on the appearance in the picture it took a side load to finish the fracture that was already started.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Newell is replacing the hitch.. Called them this morning. By 12 they were fabbing a replacement and by 5 they had it ready to install by 630 in the morn.. Are they awesome or what!!

I had it in the proper configuration to reverse.. The hitch just let go

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

It is good to hear Newell is making your bad experience right. It should give any prospective buyers a good feeling about dealing with Newell on a used coach. If you had purchased your coach from a private party you would be on your own to get the repair.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Newell has honored the warranty above and beyond, this is just another example of how well they do things... Richard, I had the pins in the proper position. We think the toad with a steer tag may have been a combination that exacerbated the hitch issue,

Marc Newman

I wasn't implying that you did anything improperly, but I was clearly saying that something about the arrangement put a big side load on the hitch. You may be on to something with the steering tag. I would have someone watch it the next couple of times to see how the trailer toad acts when backing or mount a temp video cam to see whAt is going on. You have an unusual combo with the trailer toad and steerable tag. Again, I am not pointing fingers, You may want to have newell fab some wider side plates to increase the side load strength.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I didn't take it that you were, I reread the directions 3 times to make sure I didn't mess up.. Feel very fortunate it happened in the parking lot not on the interstate..

Marc Newman

Marc,
Is this what you have? Looks like a pretty sturdy rig and the stabilizers appear to help with any side-loads.

Jimmy

Yes that's what I haveSmile

Marc Newman

May have just been a poor weld. But one definitely needs to keep an eye on the new one just to be sure there is not some other issue going on.

I think I have a 30.000 pound hitch now

Marc Newman