You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Replacement muffler

Thanks Steve. Your coach is like the newer ones. The tip is straight from the muffler, mine is not. Mine tip goes all the way over to the back cap. Great photos of a well care for coach.

Chappell and Mary
2004 Foretravel 36 foot

Hey guys, I've been getting my coach ready for our 3rd. annual 1 month summer trip. Did a lot of work myself including an oil and filter change, fuel filters, air filter, merge switch, coolant check, per the maintenance list from Newell. Still working on a few other things too.
We plan to leave this weekend... However,
I ran across a problem, my muffler has a dent and a small hole in it (the size of a quarter or so) from me scraping it previously, and the rear strap is bent but fixable.  All doable but upon further inspection, the top inlet neck has a straight line crack in it approximately 1/3 or so around it. I believe I could remove it and weld it, and at the same time straighten the strap, and possibly weld up the quarter hole. Especially considering the huge cost of replacement I have read in this post. Again my coach is a 1996, with the exhaust that exits out the left side on a 90* angle. Which is good because I get no exhaust on the tow! Any thoughts?
Also, my head lights are still blinking on and off. I have replaced everything, the solenoids on the fuse panel, the head light toggle switch, and the head light switch on the column too. I'm told it could be the head light ground, but not sure where to look for that at. Or how hard it is to get to. Thanks!

John, Sheri & Lily Kai Curwick
1996 Newell #406, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock, FJ Cruiser, Harley Fatboy. 35 CABO Express Tongue

hi john,

i would fix the muffler.

i wouldnt drive at night....ha. i spent a lot of time and money fixing the headlights on my 90 and 02 and now i just dont drive at night.

the wiring is pretty simple. just follow the wires coming off the headlights where the connector goes to the seal beam and see if they go to ground on the chasis down there or not. i ran dedicated grounds (10 gauge) to each headlight.

your 96 might or might not have a relay for the headlights. if it does, it will be in the passenger feet kick panel where all the fuses are.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks Tom,
Yeah, I'm going to try to pull the muffler today. I believe it is only the two muffler straps and a U bolt clamp to remove?
I hope? lol
I'll try to look into the wiring you mentioned.
Thanks tom!

1996 Newell #406, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock, FJ Cruiser, Harley Fatboy. 35 CABO Express Tongue

John, caution to not weld the muffler of flex pipe while on the coach without disconnecting the engine and trans computers.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester,
Does the muffler just drop out after removing the 2 straps and the U bolt clamp?
I was going to drop it out and take it a friends welding shop to weld.
Thanks

John, yes my muffler drops out when the two straps and U bolt are removed. Bent straps can be easily straightened with a vice.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Thanks Chester,
Yes, it dropped out easily after cutting the rusted bolts. I'm going to balance it on a floor jack to reinstall.
Thanks all!

Sounds like a good job for the 24-volt SawzALL :-)

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40